Jaguar X-type 2002 Mechanical Problems

Is anyone out there with this model and year type having as many problems as I am? I've already met the lemon law on it, having taken it back 4 times now for an oil leak. I think they finally got it right this time. Just curious as to how many other Jag drivers are out there having mechanical problems with this model from 2002. Not to mention the numerous recalls for several different items.

Reply to
Olga

Apparently not. We're delighted with ours.

How much oil was it losing, and from where does it appear to have come (*this* time)? This is not necessarily a *critical* problem if you pay attention to your car.

None of them being debilitating problems, our recalls have been performed during our regular service appointments.

-- C.R. Krieger '02 3.0 Sport 5-speed

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

I have one of the earliest models - summer 2001 2.5 V6 & had an oil leak very early on. The dealer quickly identified it as a leaking 'transfer box' - to do with the 4 wheel drive system. It was a major job but they replaced it with no fuss & it's been fine since. George.

Reply to
GLL

I have a 2002 X-Type 3.O manual transmission that I purchased in October of

2001. It's been an absolute dog. I can't possibly list all the problems . . . from minor "trim" issues to a new drive shaft . . . but suffice it to say that by now with only 16,000 miles on it the dealer has done about $16,000 in repairs (under waranty of course) . . . it's been an absolute pain in the ass. I have had so many loaner cars that I can't even remember and many of them have had identical problems to the ones that have had to be repaired on mine. Ford may have bought the company but the quality is still the legendary Jaguar of old . . . looks great . . . sits in the shop.
Reply to
joel

I have a 2002 X-Type 3.O manual transmission that I purchased in October of

2001. It's been an absolute dog. I can't possibly list all the problems . . . from minor "trim" issues to a new drive shaft . . . but suffice it to say that by now with only 16,000 miles on it the dealer has done about $16,000 in repairs (under waranty of course) . . . it's been an absolute pain in the ass. I have had so many loaner cars that I can't even remember and many of them have had identical problems to the ones that have had to be repaired on mine. Ford may have bought the company but the quality is still the legendary Jaguar of old . . . looks great . . . sits in the shop.
Reply to
joel

Mine has been a wonderful car. No regrets at all! Bob

of 2001. It's been an absolute dog. I can't possibly list all the problems . . . from minor "trim" issues to a new drive shaft . . . but suffice it to say that by now with only 16,000 miles on it the dealer has done about $16,000 in repairs (under waranty of course) . . . it's been an absolute pain in the ass. I have had so many loaner cars that I can't even remember and many of them have had identical problems to the ones that have had to be repaired on mine. Ford may have bought the company but the quality is still the legendary Jaguar of old . . . looks great . . . sits in the shop.

Reply to
Bob

Mine too

But I think it's a 2003 model (registered sept 2002)

Done 19,000 no problems

Pete

Oh and it's a 2.5 manual..and I'm in the uk...but apart from that identical!......I'll get my coat!

Reply to
pete

Reply to
stuart8181

I did try a merc C200 Kompressor..it was ok but I like manual cars and their aren't that many mercs about that aren't auto.

Besides no-one looks twice at a merc

Pete

Reply to
pete

I have a 2003 3.0 sport . Only 1 problem to date with fuel guage sender at

10 k miles. repaired under warranty, now with 16 k + miles. Love the car.

of 2001. It's been an absolute dog. I can't possibly list all the problems . . . from minor "trim" issues to a new drive shaft . . . but suffice it to say that by now with only 16,000 miles on it the dealer has done about $16,000 in repairs (under waranty of course) . . . it's been an absolute pain in the ass. I have had so many loaner cars that I can't even remember and many of them have had identical problems to the ones that have had to be repaired on mine. Ford may have bought the company but the quality is still the legendary Jaguar of old . . . looks great . . . sits in the shop.

Reply to
Keith Hurst

no, its more ford than any model jaguar have ever produced. about four years ago the factory it is built in constructed ford escort estates, and they were crap at that. Now the same workers after a weeks course and a couple of meetings are expected to build quality motors to compete with bmw 3 series and lexus 200's. Jag must have been crazy to trust there most important car, in possible there entire history, to a factory with a past history of producing.. trash!! Perhaps the 2 years between the build of these cars is an improvement in build quality, but unfortunately the damage has been done and sales figure of the x type represent that, unfortunately!

Reply to
tinka

I tried lexus 200's bmw 3's plus many other before buying my x-type. Lexus feels cheap and doesn't go, stop/handle as well. BMW 3 series? Todays for escort!

Pete

Reply to
pete

hardly 'a couple of weeks training; Mine was one of the first out the factory - excellent build quality. Friends with later models say the same.

Keep the Lexus please I dont want it and as for BMWs........

Reply to
DavidG

Why diss the Escort?, seeing as it's one of Ford's oldest brands as it appeared on the 103E Popular way back and a MKI or MKII with a pinto 2Ltr and a type 9 box would outpull pretty much everything in it's year. It was Ford's quality control that let it down not the car itself, I love my '40 but would have a RS2000 anyday as well.

Member's of my family built Escorts at no 4 plant in Dagenham and they never turned out trash, they just ended up nicking most of it and building cars in the back garden.

Oh BTW the McPherson Strut used on virtually every car today came from da da daaaa, an Escort!

Colin McCrae's dad also won his trophies in a da da daaa, an Escort.RS2000 or 1.8 BDA Mexico

It really is no fair comparison between a Jag or a Escort but I would rather have an Escort than a Vauxhall or Rover or worse still something French

Ian

Reply to
ancient one

Ford management under "Jac The Flop" Nasser forced the Liverpool plant on Jaguar. There was plenty of room at Castle Bromwich for the assembly line, but Ford had to placate their miltant union. Jaguar notr only got the wrong car, but got stuck with the labor mess at that plant as well.

Reply to
Jerry McG

understand

It's all right, wasn't meant as a flame at all.

Ford in my mind are doing jags favours both good and bad, after all the new shaped models that reminisce of the MKII's would never have been borne under Rover or BMW but some models are becoming faceless somewhat. Its happening to Volvo as well, next hit will be Range/Land Rover.

I never knew Halewood produced later Escort's, they took the SVE projects I think as my Pre SVE Cosworth Sierra has Halewood build data (one of a 1000 tuned twin cammed Sierra's with Cossie running gear but a Weber special carb) and of course they built the best van in the world, the Tranny, the best one I had was a short based 190 Camper with police traction axle and a special police 3.0 sourced from the Met. Yank wheels and a home made body kit.

I love my '40 and would recommend one to anyone I can, I may look into a XJS at some point or a V12'd bugger or even a X300 as I know where one has been dumped in a field.

What was it Mike Reid said about the Ford Pubix, made up of old Corsairs

Ian

Reply to
ancient one