2001 Ford Escape

Hi,

A friend of mine has been looking at the Ford Escapes. There are few few

2001 models available at a local dealership, I think they may be lease buybacks.

Does anyone have any experience with these vehicles?

Thanks,

Mike.

Reply to
M. Bruneau

My advice would be to stay away from the '01 model- there were a number of recalls and numerous problems with it. That was the 1st year for the Escape/ Mazda Tribute and I guess the engineers had all but a few bugs worked out. Check out here for recalls:

Check this site for what other Escapees have to say:

I waited until the 2002 model year and the only recall I've had was for the stalling problem (which didn't happen to me), and the only problem I had was a cracked radiator clamp that leaked when the SUV got hot (fixed under warranty). I love my Escape- I wouldn't trade it for anything.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Reply to
M. Bruneau

Don't get a first year model. I rent one about once per month for business and put on about 1000 miles each time. Great machine. Stable - if you raise the tire pressure. Good visibility. Feels comfortable and controllable to at least 107 mph. Both 3.0 engines seem to be good. 4 wheel drive is nice but nearly useless here in Texas - except for the one time I went mudding across a construction zone. Dislikes: needs a better sound system (but still better than any GM rental). No padding on arm rests is hard on long trips. Would I buy one? Yes.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

Both 3.0 engines?? I thought it had either a 2.3L 'Duratec 23' 4 cylinder or the 3.0L 'Duratec 30' V6. The Mazda uses the same engines. I believe the 2.3L is actually a Mazda engine.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Oops. You are correct. I meant to say: "Both 2.0 & 3.0..."

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

We actually just got rid of our '01 for an Explorer (had a baby, needed the room). *Overall* a good vehicle, but she did have to bring it back for a couple recalls. The transmission acted up as well, requiring a flush and ECM flash.. and it still slipped occasionally. Personally, I'd go with an '02 and up.

Reply to
Rich