Jaguar XJ6 Fail Fuel 24 Error Code - what does this mean?

Hi, I have a 1991 Jaguar XJ6 -- As of recently my Engine Light Error light is on, and I get a Fail Fuel 24 error code when I do the VCM check. My automatic transmission does not seem to be working right either. Anyone know what the Error code means? Thanks

Reply to
Max

Max all the codes are displayed here.

cheers Jon_H

Reply to
Jon_H

Hello Max,

Well as you can see nobody seems to know this code. Typically code 24 is reserved for the ecu to ignition amplifier. Recheck your fault code by just switching the ignition to "on", wait 5 seconds, then recheck your code(s). If you still get the same code then check back and report.

Blake

Reply to
DieInterim

OK Max,

After consulting with my peers concerning fuel fault 24 we have some questions to ask you.

Is there a rich fuel odor from the exhaust? Code 24 has been couple of times and they turned out to be faulty fuel pressure regulators. Knowing this I would have the fuel pressure checked before you throw parts at your car. The adaptors needed to connect to the fuel rail are Jaguar (Of course) so you may need to go to a Jaguar mechanic. A simple check - Locate the fuel pressure regulator and remove the vacuum hose and check to see if there is fuel present in the vacuum hose or in the regulator. If there is fuel present then it is obvious that the regulator needs replacement.

Fuel fail 24 is uncommon, and very few people have documented this. So it is very important that you check back and tell us what fixed this code so I can submit it to Jag lovers to update the online manual.

Best Regards,

Blake

Reply to
DieInterim

Online manual?

You have an online manual?

I have looked atthat site a few times, but I have not seen an online manual.

How do I access this?

Will I find, for example, the fuel pump relay/fuse locations for my brother's 1990 XJ6 Sovereign?

Thanks,

- Tom

Reply to
Oldbie

Uzytkownik "Max" napisal w wiadomosci news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Code Problem Probably reason

24 reinforcment starter module Break or short-circuit
Reply to
M&m

Hi Tom,

Hmm..

If your email was real I would send it to you.

Cheers,

Blake

Reply to
DieInterim

Thanks, Blake - I got it!

The problem was that even though my Driver's Handbook says the car is an XJ6, and it has XJ6 on the trunk lid, the people who write books and maintain Jaguar web sites seem to insist that it is an XJ-40.

It has taken me 2 or 3 frustrating weeks to find out how people other than Jaguar themselves refer to this vehicle.

How dumb is that?

But . . .

There isn't really very much useful info in those "books" anyway.

I'll have to get a proper manual for this car, as my brother has vowed to "keep it till it dies", and he's quite happy to leave it in my possession indefinitely. If there ever was anyone who is defined as the "opposite of a mechanic", that's my brother.

Reply to
Oldbie

Oldbie,

A proper manual can be purchased from Jaguar, alternate would be a Haynes manual.

Fuel Pump Relay Location and help-

The fuel pump relay is located under the passenger's(US)side of the dash. It is a black relay in a red socket. A simple way to check the pump is to remove the rear seat cushion & pulling back the foam rubber insulation on the driver's side (US) and there you'll find a round black connector for the pump. There will be a blue/red wire & a black wires in the connector. Power is the blue/red & black is the ground . You should be able to hear the pump running, if not then its a goner. The pump is bolted to the rear suspension assembly on the driver's side of the car.

And as for that online book.....good things take time. If everybody contributed to that book what a wonderful resource it would be. But, it is a wonderful resource.

Best Wishes,

Blake Dodson

Reply to
DieInterim