3000GT error code 14

I've posted this question before but still haven't managed to solve the problem. The engine warning light comes on intermittently on my

1991 3000GT SL. I did a fault diagnosis of the ECU as described in the service manual and found malfunction code 14 for the throttle position sensor.

I checked the throttle position sensor (TPS) and the idle position switch with a VOM but both components seem to be working OK (as described in service manual) . Not sure where to go from here. The fault is intermittent and when it occurs the automatic shifting becomes erratic. The fault ONLY occurs when engine is warm (after about 1/2 hour of driving).

Someone previously suggested that it may be an earthing problem so I renewed the earth straps from the battery to the chassis and engine. This didn't help. Any further suggestions? Should I assume that it is the TPS and replace it anyway? Maybe the intermittent nature of the fault makes my checks of the TPS with a VOM invalid.

Reply to
Paul

Pull the ECU and look for capacitor damage.

Nobody U. Know

I have found that a good low conductivity ground strap from the Trans to the frame solves many problems. Also a TPS can be intermitant and hard to diagnose with a handheld meter.TG

Reply to
TG

Reply to
Paul

I suggest 3si.org

they will all the answers you will ever need.

Reply to
Jack VR4

Yes, an additional strap. This especially helps auto trans cars. TG

Reply to
TG

Reply to
Paul