Re: How do I bring a 12 cyl. 6.0 (1992) back to life?

My late father-in-law owned a 1992 6.0 litre 12 cyl. Jaguar, which has been

> built in a limited edition. > It is the "old" model, not one of the 90's XJ's. > > It had been restored for my wedding day in the winter of 2001. > Engine was 'fixed', 4 new Pirelli tyres were fitted, lights and other > electrics were checked. > > We had a great day, but after this day the Jag hasn't been used ever since. > It has been outside (temperatures between -15C and +30C, rain, snow, storms, > etc.) all of the time. > It now belongs to my brother-in-law who hasn't the slightest idea what great > car he owns. > > Two weeks ago (after checking oil, etc.) I jump started the car. > It ran painfully bad (between 500 and 2500 rpms when standing still and not > in gear). > With the airco on "auto" it nearly died totally, but by switching this item > totally off, I managed to keep it "alive". > > I know it will be difficult to make this beauty become a good running car > again. > Since my brother-in-law rather lets it rust outside the garage, it find it > MY DUTY to restore this beauty. > > What difficulties could appear? > Is such an engine tough? > Will it live again? > > Please help! > > Fred > >
Reply to
nightmre

After sitting for that long, you are going to have to flush the entire fuel system.

Old gasoline is pretty skanky. Drain it.

If you don't want to waste the old gasoline, just add one gallon to each tankful that you burn in the future.

The fuel filters must be changed and it would be a good Idea to clean out the entire Fuel injection system.

Put 5 gallons of new gas in the system and some Chevron Techron FI cleaner.

Change the spark plugs.

I don't know why, but plugs that have been allowed to sit for a few years just don't work that well.

Change ALL fluids in the car. The Antifreeze becomes acidic with age and condensation will put water in the other fluids.

You will probably have to replace all the belts and hoses and distributor cap.

The tires ( over 5 years old) are not safe. Buy new ones.

The Jaguar 12 cylinder a very well built and tough engine.

If you aren't going to do the above by yourself, be prepared to spend about $2000 to get it done properly by an expert.

Since you already started the car, if you were going to damage a valve that was stuck, you've already done that.

Richard H. Kuschel "I canna change the law of physics."-----Scotty

Reply to
Richard Kuschel