Starting problem on my xj40

I have a 1990 xj40 3.2 with an intermittent starting problem. It happens every two or three days, when she turns over but will just not fire up.Getting a spark o.k. at the plugs so wondering if it could be a fuel problem.Also i have just had it serviced and the garage kept it for a couple of days to see if the fault re-occured but unfortunately it didn't.Now a couple of days later it's happened again.It is not related to temperature or dampness as it can occur in any weather but it always happens when the engine is cold.Any advice greatly appreciated. clive.

Reply to
clive.tucker1

Do you have fluctuating cold idle speeds? If you do I have the same problem with my '89 3.6, my problem is (occasional) blocked fuel injection nozzles. Stick a bottle of STP injector cleaner in your tank when you next fill up and that should keep you going for a coupla weeks until you can get the problem sorted properly.

Reply to
Lynyrd Skinhead

I had those symptoms (89 XJ40 with about 100k miles) where occasionally the car refused to start when cold, always when I was in a hurry, it seemed. I could walk away and come back 20 minutes later and it would start up. Once started, the problem seldom recurred that same day. In my case it turned out to be a crank sensor. Cost was about $100 to have it replaced, as I recall.

Reply to
WayneC

temperature or

Reply to