1996 Dodge Avenger - starting problem question.....?

My son has had a 1996 Dodge Avenger for a year now, it's been a good running car except for a starter problem a few months back we fixed quick. He takes good care of it with oil and filter changes and all the normal stuff and he's a very low key driver. A week ago he pulled into a gas station and shut the car off. He saw that pump was out of order so he cranked it up and moved to another pump and shut it off again. He realized in his haste he pulled to the wrong side so he started to move it and it would turn over strong but wouldn't fire. He tried pumping the gas and would get an occasional fire but it would catch. I got him to wait about 10 minutes and try it again which he did and it fired right up and ran fine after that.

He drove it for the next couple of days with no issues, starting and running fine. Then a couple days ago he drove to several places, went to class in the afternoon and then after class was over he went to leave and the same thing. This time he waited and it still wouldn't fire. I swung by, had a can of starter fluid, popped the intake filter case open, blew in a squirt and tried it. It would try to run but was making a clattering noise which he said it never made and as soon as the fluid ran out it would shudder and stop. We tried several time but without the starter fluid it would just turn over and over and not even sputter but only made the clattering noise when we squirted some starter fluid in.

We had it towed to a friend's shop and he was very busy but managed to take a look at it last evening. He said he was going to take the covers off and check the timing belt but he was also leaving to head out of town for the weekend so won't be back to work on it until next week. I thought I'd pop in here and see if anyone else might have some suggestions.

I kind of doubt the timing belt is the issue as he had this problem a week ago and that would not of "fixed itself" by just sitting at the gas station a while. He some other people suggest it could be the fuel pump but I have no clue if this is a submerged pump in the tank or what. Any suggestions or things I might could tell the guy to look at when he returns next week?

All help and hints are greatly appreciated. Scott

Reply to
infiniteMPG

[...]

I wouldn't think timing belt either. Since it ran on starting fluid we know the ignition system is ok. Hopefully the noise you were hearing was detonation. The engine isn't meant to run off starting fluid and will knock like the devil when you do that.

My guess is a fuel related issue. First thing I would try would be to check the fuel pressure. If there isn't any sometimes you can whack the bottom of the tank and jolt the pump just enough that it will run and you can start the car (extremely temporary fix... don't count on it working a second time if it even works the first). If still no fuel pressure you will have to troubleshoot the system to find out why. If you do have fuel pressure then I am wrong and you can safely delete this post and call me names under your breath.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Reply to