Granada cuts out - won't restart for a while

Hi all,

I've posted about this one before, but after trying a couple of things, I'm still no nearer a solution, so just hoping someone may have an idea.

The car (1987 Granada 2.9 auto) runs fine 99% of the time, but occasionally, usually after it has been warmed up then left to cool for a while one of two things happens. #1. it just won't start, or #2. it will start fine, then a short way down the road will cut out - no stuttering, just stop dead. Either way the engine will turn over but it will be anything from a few seconds to a few minutes before the car starts again. Then it runs as if nothing ever happened.

Plugs, leads etc. all seem to be in good condition, and after some research the ignition module and engine coolant temperature sensor have been replaced, but to no avail. The car doesn't have the Ford immobiliser which I know causes this kind of problem in a lot of Granadas.

The problem is intermittent - sometimes won't happen for months, sometimes twice in a week. Today for the first time the problem occured without the usual warm up/cool down cycle - just driving down the road from cold.

Any ideas greatly appreciated - I need to take it on holiday in a couple of days time!

Cheers,

Jasp.

Reply to
Jasper

fuel pump is it still buzzing when it cuts out? if it won't start again does the pump buzz when you turn the ignition on like it should?

that's my first port of call then you can investigate the fuel cut out switch (next to the boot lock)

occasionally,

Reply to
dojj

Thanks for that, I was starting to think along those lines after doing a little reading. I've now familiarised myself with all the fuel pump noises for next time it happens. Is it likely to just be the switch, or maybe a sign of problems with the pump?

It's just a pity I can never manage to replicate the fault..

Cheers,

Jasp.

Reply to
Jasper

pumps wear out, but it's normally a combination of things filter and pump and loom to the pump is the main problem on the early cars they had problems with the fuel pump relay, but that only ever affected the 2.8 MFi's

Reply to
dojj