Wanting an XJ6 for Fiancee

I'm not having any luck getting any help from the jag forums, but perhaps you guys would be kind enough to answer my question: my fiancée is absolutely in LOVE with Jaguar cars - so I've decided to reluctantly buy her one for her wedding present (89-91 XJ6). I've been in the car industry in the past and have not heard many, if any, good things about Jags (constant repairs, unreliable, etc.) I called a Jag mechanic and asked him about the 89-91 XJ6 and he said it would be a good car for her. She's fairly good about maintaining her cars ? but I know I would be the one repairing it and keeping up with the service appointments and such. I'm not a rich man and only want the best that i can get for her. :) I'm only looking to spend about 5-6 thousand $US.

Please help - i dont want to be stuck with a lemon or have the absolute dissapointment of giving my future wife a car she cant drive on a daily basis around town - no matter how much she loves it or how good it looks.

thanks

Reply to
synefx

Hi, Ive only had mine for 4 months, an 88 model. So far, so good, but thats probably because its had a mint spent on it before I got it ;o) It has a few quirks, but in general has been a solid car. Regards, Nathan

Reply to
Belinda Bates

I have an 89 with 120k miles. Bought it with some 80k miles about 5 years ago. It hasn't been trouble-free, but hasn't been a serious maintenance problem, either... the most nagging problem was a bad crank sensor that rendered the car unstartable on inconvenient occasions (Murphy's law is in full effect) and took a while to track down, but wasn't particularly expensive to fix. I also had to repair the hydraulic system, and that was fairly expensive. I've had (and still have) a bothersome "bulb failure" message that keeps popping up on the dash despite my numerous attempts to find and fix the problem. Other repairs were fairly normal maintenance, I think, like coolant hoses, brakes, etc. The original owner had to replace the electronic dash, and he replaced the troublesome rear air suspension that was discontinued after that model year. The newer model you buy, the better, I think.

Reply to
WayneC

You get a good one and as long as is serviced reg it will be as reliable as any other car.

My '40 although gripes from time to time but starts and goes stops and does what it should on minimal maintainence. Mostly DIY stuff too.

For bullet proof get a Series III, a well maint'd S3 will go on forever and doesn't have the niggly electrical probs the 40s have.

Ian

Reply to
AncientOne

Reply to
Bob the Sailor

I agree, dont buy your fiancee a 15 year old vehicle, especially a Jag. Id try to find one at least 30 years old, 50 would be better :o)

6 grand down payment? Then a big monthly payment! Better an old expensive car than a newer "cheap" model. My Jag sold for, as far as I know, $52k U.S. back in 1988. I gave $1600.00 U.S. for the thing, total. Meticulously maintained, had a mint spent on it over the years (I have all the records). It may fly apart tomorrow, but I wont have any payments to worry about :o) And in the meantime, Im motoring in style. I know a lot of folks dont like the XJ46 (thats what I call it, since its debatable whether its an XJ6 or XJ40). But its still a Jag, and I get compliments on it daily. Just my opinion. Best Regards, Nathan
Reply to
Nathan Bates

"Nathan Bates" wrote in news:psCoc.23780$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

You may well get compliments, but the fact remains, the XJ40 is a dud in the stable. Unpopular with most Jaguar enthusiasts, and bought merely as a run-a-bout to run into the ground. I doubt they will ever be collectable.

He should buy his Fiancee a nice FWD USA Chev/Ford/Chrysler....

Reply to
Jagwire

===========================================I agree that the XJ40 will most likely never be a collectible, but I dont think I inferred that by my post above anyway. Mine was bought for exactly what you say, a daily driver, and I imagine it will be "run into the ground" as I usually keep a car for a very long time. I also never inferred in my post above that an XJ40 like mine is the collectible car that a 1973 XKE V-12 is, for example. My main point above was, that in my opinion, a 16 year old XJ40 at $1600.00 is a "better buy" than a new "Daewoo" or some such at $12,000.00 (Not knocking Daewoo, they are cute!). Regards, Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Bates

I have a '94 XJ40 (XJ6) and it has been the finest automobile I have ever owned. Reliable, smooth decent handling reasonable milage and no major repairs.

70k miles.

Collectable? Who knows, and I for one like the rectangular headlamps. I like the round headlamps also but I wouldn't say I prefer them..

Richard H. Kuschel "I canna change the law of physics."-----Scotty

Reply to
Richard Kuschel

"walketh into the woods with thine eyes wide open. Seeketh yourself a wiseman whom has knowledge of these fierce beasts. Confront yourself with the wrong cat and it with shred your wallet with long sharp gnashing fangs of debt. Seek a seer of these cats and have him select amoung the group a choice beast, one that is tame and faithful..... remember , less is more."

-Some ol smartass

Reply to
DieInterim