Mazda 323 opinions

Any opinions on a Mazda 323, 94 to 98 model - reliability, known problems, etc? Are they descent cars to buy or best to avoid?

Cheers.

Reply to
Simon

Very nice car, extremely similar to a Ford Focus. I was thinking about buying one a while back , the 1.5 model as it had ABS and traction control. A lot of car for the money and the local MSF dealer can repair them.

Reply to
jqo

I've got a 98 one and have had no real problems with it. Pretty reliable - left it sitting for a cold month in winter while out of the country, came back and it started first time without complaint. I've only ever had to change the usual things (Tyres, battery, bulbs etc). Genuine parts seem to be pricier than their e.g. Peugot 306 equivalents, but I guess that's to be expected.

My only real complaint (and it's not a big one) is that my 1.5 model is a little underpowered so can take a bit of time accelerating. I assume the 1.8 should avoid those problems (in exchange for greater costs of course).

Aesthetically too I think the 323 is quite pleasing - much nicer than the new 323 (which is a fine car too, I'm sure).

Actually, I wonder why Mazda don't bring out a new MX-3, I would think there's room in the market for a new mini-sports car (or whatever the appropriate classification is).

A.

Reply to
Art