Gone quiet, hasnt it?

Not much activity here today.

Could it be that all you bums that sit on here and post when you're supposed to be working never made it cos of the weather? (c:

Or is it because other people are off and you actually have to do some work?

Is the weather actually bad anywhere else? (I'm in Aberdeen and there's 3 or

4 inches of snow here)

I've just been for a job interview.

On a vaguely car modification theme, will putting paving slabs in the boot of my automatic RWD beast make it any easier to pull out of uphill junctions that are covered in compacted snow with some dignity?

I'm skint, does LiDL sell snowchains?

Warmest regards Douglas

-- "Windows NT crashed. I am the Blue Screen of Death. No one hears your screams."

Reply to
Douglas Payne

There was only an inch or so here (near Scarborough) until about 20 minutes ago, and now i am sat in the midst of the greatest blizzard i have ever seen. It really is mental.

Reply to
Dan405

I made it in.

Only about an inch and a half at work, and 2.5 at work in Salford. But then it raisn, so we appear to have 3 inch of slush, and now it is snowing again.

All we need is to freeze, and life will be fun.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Dignity bah... just wheelspin and slide your way out the junction - far more fun

Reply to
Ben Organ

My ISP was down from mid evening until lunchtime due, I'm told, to the latest Doom virus swamping things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Well the weather's shit here too if that makes it any easier for you lot stuck in the freezing UK.:-) I'm in Florianopolis, on the Atlantic coast of Brazil, further down than Rio and Sao Paulo. It's rained (and I mean RAINED) for the last 5 days solid. We've had landslides and houses (fortunately not people) lost, half the city is waist-deep in water. Garden is underwater.

OK, it's still 28C...so it's not that bad..

Mike

Reply to
Mike P in Brazil

Nah. Decent tyres. Stick nails in parcel tape and wrap 'am around the tyre (nail side out, obviously.

I managed to get the MGF sideways just pulling out of a junction. We got instablizzard, enough for the 306's jets to freeze and the MGF's rear window to crack. Arse, as they say.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Cool, sounds quite Mad Maxesque (c: I like.

I suppose what I really need is tyres that have folded flat spikes that stick up when the wheels are spinning.

I suppose it was only really an issue this morning when I was trying to get somewhere for a reason, trying not to be cut in half when things got messy half way through pulling out.

Recreationally its quite good fun.

Still got your top gear sofa? I'm quite pleased with the handling manners of mine (although it does come in a marginally smaller metal box than yours) in such conditions. Doesnt stop too good though, Pesky ABS and front tyres.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

A touch of handbrake will kill the wheelspin in the spinning wheel -like a cheap and nasty LSD. Just a touch though. Personally, I went looking for 'innacessible' places - my first time with

4wd, traction control and EDL - oh what fun driving up hills slowly with some old duffer sweating it behind you then accelerating away with no wheelspin :-) I can be a right tosser sometime...
Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

woo hoo its a blizzard outside. Time to see if i can right off the Volvo ;) :D

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

You'll notice the Senator has dropped from the sigfile - my car dealer mate got a six-wheel trailer (if John F. is reading, yes, the trailer used to fetch the G26!) and wanted a towcar! I got good money for a 212K Senator, too - £250.

Oddly enough, we did play around with it today. It's disappointingly safe; my gf's Scorpio estate is far more amusing, though worth more and therefore somewhat stressful to drive ;)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

It's all a big circle really isn't it ? A car or guitar or trailer or whatever may leave your posession, but it's only ever temporary - you know it's coming back home some day. Some we welcome back, some we don't ;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Just tried to write the Carlton off. Failed. Probably for the best. (c:

I was being sensible till we came across a deserted car park.

Probably took several thousand miles off the rear tyres.

Toastie!

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Spot on.

I went home about 5 minutes after you posted that message :)

Didn't get in until 10:30 this morning !

Reply to
Nom

!?!?!?

The rear window cracked ?

Reply to
Nom

Good god. No-one has picked up that I have, or at least am in the process of, acquiring an MGF :D

Yeah. The frost, and I /think/ it must have happened when I got in and shut the door, because it balloons the rear window. Otherwise I'm baffled, but there was a tiny crack in the window.

£140 for a new one (or £400 from Rover!?!). Might go for a new roof, though, with heated glass rear window - £600ish from Mike Satur.

And the MGF? 99 'T' with 37K on it, full 2 tone leather, silver 1.8i Sport. Hold up one hand. That many thousand. A good deal, no?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

A grand? Whats wrong with it? Damage repairable? Stolen recovered? Auction fluke?

Reply to
Dan405

Do you think he meant 5 thousand Dan?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I did pick up on it, just didnt like to say anything, you'll justify it, say that actually its pretty good and have us all wanting one if we're not careful (c:

Is the rear window glass or plastic? I've seen some weird things happen to plastic plant pots and sledges left out in the frost for lengthy periods of time.

Can't really argue with the price, sounds good to me. Has it got the VVT engine? Not that it makes any difference to me, I've never driven any sort of MGF. Had a go in a metro once though, I thought it was quite grippy and had a good ride, just horrible driving position. I believe the MGF and metro use similar crazy pumpy uppy suspension, is that true?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

You know - he just might :)

*slaps forehead and goes back to bed muttering something about the cold weather*
Reply to
Dan405