x type jag

Hi wonder if any one can help please,my father has bought an X type desiel, but the oil light keeps coming on, oil level is fine, can anyone give any indicatiors as to what could be causing this please.

TIA

Reply to
nooz

Failed sensor switch.

-- C.R. Krieger (BT, DT)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

And its most likely showing signs of oil leaking from it, which also confirms its stuffed.

Reply to
Rob

The oil light's only function is to let you know when it senses a low oil pressure condition. I love the way the keyboard/armchair mechanics immediate reaction is to state that the sensor has failed.

While this is indeed a possibility, the most important thing is to verify that there is adequate oil pressure to lubricate the engine, otherwise a routine rebuild will be a major replacement of components, possibly starting with the block and crankshaft, should a main bearing or connecting rod bearing "fail in flight".

If there is truly a low oil pressure condition, it could indicate that it is time to replace the crankshaft bearings, or merely that the PO for some strange reason did not have the correct weight or type of lubricant in the engine, and possibly the sensitivity of the switch is marginal.

Have your father check this asap without driving the car very far or very fast.

Happy Trails To You

Reply to
Happy Trails

This 'armchair mechanic' has changed several oil pressure sensor switches in various vehicles. Since the OP mentioned that the level is fine, I go to the next logical *and cheapest* (I found it for

Reply to
C.R. Krieger