[UK] Buying an X Type?

Hi

I am considering buying a Jag X Type about 2 years old. I have always wanted a Jag. Can anybody give me the pro's and con's regarding doing so. I see they are available in Auto Trader for around 7k-9k and would consider this a bargain.

Any help would be much aprechiated. Ian.

Reply to
thebige

In article , thebige writes

I was in a similar situation earlier this year, but decided against the X-type.

I went for a slightly older XJ8 - which are stupendous value for money when compared to new prices. You get an awful lot of car for your money, and you can find good ones in your price range.

The X Type is very competent, but buying a Jag is a decision of the heart, not the head. Is an X-Type really what you've always wanted as a Jag, or is it just the badge you fancy? To me, Jag means luxury with British quirkiness in both engineering and fittings, big engines, auto box, effortless cruising or roaring performance. The X-type just doesn't quite have the same emotional appeal; it is tamed and sensible, really equivalent to the Mondeo it is based, another high end eurobox car rather than something unique.

For the first time in probably 10 years or so I am really enjoying driving again. Just to sit in the car after a stressful day in the office is instant relaxation. I just don't think I'd have the same feelings for an X-type, which is probably the more sensible option. But as you should have gathered, this is purely an emotional reason, your feelings may well differ from mine.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

I drive an X type as well as an XJ6 Series III and they are both fun to drive, but for very different reasons.

The X type is more like a sports car in the way it sets off and handles; she's like a scalded cat from the lights! The XJ6 is more of a typical Jag, i.e. Space, Pace and Grace and I guess that the modern XJ6 and XJ8 will be very similar.

Depends what floats your boat.

If you do decide to go for an X type watch the front drivers seat for poor positioning and stitching, the gearbox for an unusual noises or difficulty selecting gear and finally ask if there has been any trouble with the fuel tank (early ones used to vaccum lock and either wouldn't entirely fill or would not let fuel to the engine!)

Have fun!

Nev

Reply to
Neville Grunwald

Ian

I have had a 2.5 Sport for 6 months, a true Jag in is not, but, it is still an excellent car, very smooth and although based on the Ford, a Ford it is not. Handling is excellent, 4 wheel drive has got me out of some holes already, performance is excellent too.

Not all good, so far I have had dash rattles, new instrument cluster (noisy original), sticking boot release, loose heat shield, and yep the gear box takes some getting use to. But saying that, after and Alfa 156, no worries at all.

The Jaguar dealer network has been excellent !!

Les

Reply to
Les Orange

Also look at

Gel

Thanks for all your help with helping me choose my new car. It sounds like the X-Type isn't a conventional 'Jag'. I like the S Type, but think this looks too much like the Rover 75. I think I have enough information to at least test drive one.

Thanks

Reply to
thebige