XJ-S or XJ6?

I've got a '91 (H) XJ-S 3.6 Sport Auto, not too bad a car, heater doesn't heat, could do with a few rust spots sorting but nothing too serious, and the veneer on the centre console is knackered, oh and it's got Jag Handbrakeitis. Done about 75000 miles (odometer stopped working on 66665 a year or so ago).

Problem is... I'm not a real fan of XJ-S's, I bought it because my boss offered to sell it to me cheaply.. too cheaply to refuse. And because the engine is sweet as the proverbial squirrel foodstuff.

I DO like XJ6s though, but I don't seem to be able to find a nice, useable

3.6 or 4.0 XJ6 that isn't totally knackered, or overpriced if it's a good one.

Are XJ-S's worth more or less than XJ6s? What are my chances of getting a nice, useable 6 as a swap?

Any hints or tips (apart from a link to jaglovers) would be good

Ta

Reply to
Pete M

Alright mate, I got a XJ40 I would consider a swap for as I really wanted a XJS, I love my 40 to bits but would like to go one better.

See my FS post further up if interested but I should imagine you will get a few more offers.

Ian

Reply to
ancient one

Generally speaking, an XJS of the same year as an XJ40 is worth more. That being said, you have all kinds of conditional exceptions to the rule. Condition of the paint, leather, motor, etc.

webserve

Reply to
Webserve

Is a 3.6 a real XJS ????????

Reply to
Phil Cook

In news:NUu_b.2675$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-win.server.ntli.net, Phil Cook decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I agree, I'm not a fan of the XJ-S to be honest. I did have an '84 H.E one a couple of years ago, but I bought it for the same reason I bought this one, it was cheap. As for it being for tarts and hairdressers, well, at least it's not a 2.9 XJ6. Besides, the 3.6 isn't that much slower than the V12 and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to run / service etc..

I'm in the mood for a nice 4.2 XJ6 at the moment... might even stoop to a

3.6 if I can find someone who wants to swap.
Reply to
Pete M

Stick to your guns Scouse lad !.".it`s the size of the fight in the dog not the size of the dog in the fight"...i`ve got a `94-95 3.2 manual it does everything the 4.0 does at slightly higher revs .according to the spec. as for the swap..get yourself hold of a Jag Enthuiasts mag theres plenty of motors in the the ads cheap too..might find someone up for a swap or even get a good price for yours... regards peter j ( Other side of the Mersey)

Reply to
peter J