XJ series 1 AUTO

Hi

I have all but finished a total ground up restoration of a 1970 XJ6.

Ground up? Every bolt replated. Full interior retrim. Motor rebuild etc etc etc. This car has either had it replaced or had it reconditioned.

My big problem however is the type 12 Automatic transmission.

Like most of the so called experts that have been involved with the reconditioning of several major components, the guy who reconditioned the Auto sent it back with no REVERSE and no 2-3 shift. (Head came back with no attention to the shimming so three out of 12 valves were held open, radiator came back with three rows of the core bent over and soldered after asking for it to be totally re-cored, Carbies were sent off to have the butterfly shafts replaced and the bodies rebushed - came back with a gasket kit - and that was all! , several small chrome pieces were sent to be re-chromed but came back blistered and peeling in a worse state than when sent --- let me tell you, Australia certainly is not a service culture!!)

I fixed the reverse - seems he simply forgot to tighten the rear band - at all!

I carefully removed the valve body, stripped it down and reassembled it - could not see any thing obvious or out of place but I am still stuck trying to figure out why no 2 -3 shift.

A few hints so far point to oil level (is OK) and vacuum leaks (also OK)

Anybody with a few hints ? Hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David J

Reply to
David J