85xj6 won't move

Help! The other day my xj6 motored into the garage quite successfully. Now, I can slip through the gear selector and she won't move in any position. Revs up just fine--sounds like it's staying in park or neutral. I had the tranny rebuilt two months ago with no problems. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Jerry Lawrence

Five choices:

Shifter no longer connected to the transmission - linkage fell apart. (Most likely possibility, IMHO, and, if so, this one is your X-Mas present.)

Transmission's pump is dead so there's no internal pressure to tighten the transmission's clutches and bands etc.

Transmission dry - no fluid. (Unlikely given that you just drove it)

Driveshaft is broken. (Possible but unlikely)

Rear axle is broken - driveshaft spins but differential allows rotation to go the broken axle. (Unlikely but possible.)

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Jerry, I agree -- chances are there is a problem with the linkage. Usually these re-built trannys are bench tested and are pretty reliable. Recently, my 420 decided it would no longer go into park. I opened up the side inspection port under the tunnel carpet and discovered the clamp holding the outer sheath of the cable had come loose. Everytime I tried to put the tranny into gear, the entire cable was moving instead of the lever on the transmission. Probably just something not tightened upon re-install that took a couple months to loosen to the point you now have trouble.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Cross out "no problems" in the paragraph above.

Reply to
Oldbie

Sorry if I've missed a previous reply - but the first think I'd look at is the linkage between the lever and the gearbox. I have heard reports that the clevis pin attaching the lever to the linkage is particularly liable to break - especially if pressure needs to be applied (for example to remove the car from Park on a hill).

Reply to
273