XJ40 wheel bearings

I have noticed a lot of free play in the wheel bearings and horrendous whining noise while driving. i have removed,cleaned and regreased the bearings and still the noise and vibration returns after about 2 or 3 days.

how easy is it to do a DIY job on new bearings as the races will have to come out, apparently they are matched to the bearings.

how easy is it to remove/replace the races without the use of a hydraulic press (i don't own one)

cheers Jon_H

Reply to
Jon_H

Jon-H, I have replaced the bearings on my XJ40 in both the front and the rear and it is an easy job. Well, it is as easy as any other car. You do not need a press. Like any other set of bearings, you can drive the race out with a drift. Or in my case, I used a large flat-head screwdriver. You need to take a bit of care not to score the hub as it is aluminum, but it is any easy operation. I suggest you buy the kit that includes the inner as well as out bearings and races as well as the oil seal and a bit of bearing grease. There have been situations where the suppliers have shipped incorrect oil seals when you buy the parts separately. Use the driver to pop the old race out. Use the OLD race and a block of wood to drive the new race in. That way no damage is done to the new race or the hub.

The front bearings are easy and self explanatory. You MUST make note in the rear as to how the assembly comes apart in order for it all to go back together properly. There are washers and spacers inside the hub.

One note: You will be confused at first as to how to get the hub apart. On the inner side of the hub, you will see a toothed gear. (on both sides if it is an '87,'88 or '89 XJ40). This "gear" is for the ABS sensor. If you look closely, you will see the toothed gear is a force fit onto the stub. If you take a 24MM (I believe) socket, it will fit perfectly inside the toothed gear and rest on the rim of the stub. With the assembly raised, you can hit the socket with a hammer and the whole stub should drop out of the toothed gear thus making everything accessible.

I have pictures and diagrams if you are interested.

Cheers Webserve

Reply to
webserve