XJ6 Front Suspension Experts

Group, My friend at work wrecked her pristine 87 XJ6, only 40,000 miles :>(. The damage didn't look all that bad, but the insurance company "totaled" it. I convinced her to buy it back. I removed the smashed fender,grille and bumper. I inspected the front suspension and found that the inner tie rods were quite bent. I found a good junk yard and assembled all the parts. So far so good. Then I find that the vertical link on the damaged side is bent. Back to the junk yard. Again so far, so good. I did a best shot alignment, in the driveway, that actually "felt" just fine while driving to get a real alignment. Everything went fine up to the camber adjustment on the damaged side. It could not be brought into spec. Even the shop couldn't see visually, any problem, nor could I. What would you folks do from here? Just start at the top and work down parts replacing until ..? I could start with wishbones and bushings, then ball joints then lower wish bone etc. If nothing looks bad would you just junk yard ALL the suspension parts on that side? If I replace ALL those parts on that side would I then have to replace ALL the rubber parts on the other side with new bushings etc? Sheesh I just wanted to help this lady out a bit, but I've gotten myself a little buried here. I've done body work, built motors, trannys, but no suspension. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Adysthemic

Reply to
Adysthemic

I would think a good collision shop could laser-check the dimensions of pertinent mounting points for the suspension on the chassis and straighten if necessary; if not necessary, then the suspension parts on that side should probably be replaced. I'd also replace the bushings on the other side... although that wouldn't be mandatory. I doubt there's much a backyard mechanic can do with an issue like this... now you know why the insurance company totaled the car, they didn't want to take the chance you took, and they probably have to figure the costs of new (not junkyard) parts, which tipped the scales for them.

Reply to
WayneC