XJ8 Engine help

Please can any body help jaguar main dealer won't help Have fitted New Cylinder head to XJ8 3.2 without variable valve timing. Put plug in flywheel as told by jag have put all cambs with flats as per jag info wont start at all but back fired up thru air intake in fact blew it completely off. This points to timing but all marks are as the jag info say's. I only changed one head so did not alter the other side so I know its not

180 deg out please can any body help I am desperate. Paul
Reply to
Emelita Cullip

Double check valve clearances; hope you did not rotate your cams whilst installed on the engine. It sounds more like cam timing.

Blake

Reply to
DieInterim

Reply to
Emelita Cullip

I meant rotate the cams to "time" them, then attach timing drives. Could bend a valve(s).

Reply to
DieInterim

Hello,

Yes this engine uses shim over bucket design. What this means is that the adjustment shim resides on top of the tappet. A special tool is needed to compress the spring far enough that you can use a "bugger" hook or compressed air to blast it out of its recess.

I have read one chap that replaced his flywheel/flex plate at the advice of Jaguar, and I ask "why"? Anyway, this fellow removed the sensor in the housing and located the triangular mark. After pulling his hair out he realized that the hole for the alignment dowel was not lined up. So he ignored the mark and inserted his dowel, then checked cam timing. The factory mismarked the new wheel! He's in a going machine again.

And on a sour note - the right head gasket is doing the same job as the left, would'nt it be prudent to change this one as well?

Blake

Reply to
DieInterim

Go back to the garage. DO NOT go to the receptionist wearing the suit. Walk around to the mechanics, see if you can spot one with a cup of coffee having a break, ask them if they have a couple of minutes spare. Mechanics usually love their cars, especially true of my experience of Jag mechanics who are very proud to be working at main dealers on such cars. They will tell you anything you want to know. Drop them a bit of cash and they may even pop the bonnet and fix it.

Russ.

Reply to
Russell Fray

Reply to