Re: Engine noise

Hi Ron,

Yes, XJ40, 3.6L.

Paul

"khobar" wrote in news:McHPa.1805$Bp2.59@fed1read07: > > By 1989, I asume you are talking about the XJ40? > > Is it a 3.6 or 4 litre ? > > Ron > > > > > Hi folks, > > > > Wife's 1989 XJ6VDP stalled Monday morning. Our mechanic found the rack > > and pinion was blown out one side and replaced that. He also replaced > > the wheel bearings because he said he didn't feel safe testing the car > > on the road. He also said the car was down 5 quarts of oil. He made no > > progress in finding the cause of the stall or the now obvious tapping > > noise coming from the engine. We cut our losses and decided to > > investigate ourselves and are hoping to get some advice here. > > > > Basically the car runs but while accelerating the engine seems to > > hesitate and backfire a little. This is not random but varies with > > RPM. At speed the frequency seems to drop off and the noise is not as > > severe. > > > > Idle is somewhat rough (definite difference now compared with before > > she left Monday morning). Definite light tapping sound rear top of > > engine. > > > > We are going to pull the valve cover and see if there's anything to > > see, and we'll report back. In the meantime, any thoughts? > > > > Thanks, > > > > Paul Nixon > > > > > > >
Reply to
khobar

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Power steering fluid apparently was spurting out in the mechanic's shop when the engine was started from the left side of the rack. And yes, we did get ripped off.

We pulled the valve cover and found the problem. Broken camshaft! Cyl. #6, right side. We have the XJ40 manual for this car and are looking at the details of replacing this ourselves. What we have NOT been able to find is a price on such a beast. We know there are two and I believe this is the exhaust camshaft, but so far we have not found anything online.

So, any sources for camshafts available?

Many thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.

Paul

Reply to
khobar

"khobar" wrote in news:94WPa.3571$Bp2.3075 @fed1read07:

Paul,

I take it you are not in Australia, so I cannot give a lot of advise on parts. Down under we can pick up a complete low milage motor with gearbox attached for 2,500 AUD.

Se if you can find a wrecker who imports ex Japanese Jaguars, and won't rip you off.

Cheers,

Ron

@fed1read07:

Reply to
Ron McGrice

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the info. You are correct, I'm not in Australia. I'm in Arizona.

We now have several potential sources for the part in question and with luck will have the car back on the road sooner rather than not at all.

Paul

Reply to
khobar