ML brake pedal travel

I have a problem with the brake pedal travel on an ML 270CD 2000 model (w registered). With the engine running the pedal will travel to a hard spot which feels normal but then proceeds to sink until it almost hits the floor (where it stays solid).

The vehicle has had new Discs & Pads but has made no difference to pedal feel. I have bled the hydraulics with no effect and no air was apparent. Is there any special technique or sequence for bleeding brakes on the ML??

The vehicle has been tested by a main dealer on several occasions and they say it's OK but it feels all wrong! Surely Merdedes don't sell them like this new! I have heard rumours that the ML may have a problem with its pedal travel, can anyone shed any light on this??

Grateful for any advise

Bert

Reply to
Bert

My ML430 brakes feel probably similar. It's not so much how far down you are able to press the pedal with the engine started, as much as how much pedal it takes to slow down and stop while driving. My pedal can be pressed nearly to the floor while parked and idling; when driving, only the middle range of travel is used for normal driving and stopping. I can press the pedal to the floor if I want to, but the vehicle stops and slows effectively at mid-pedal without ever needing to go farther down to the floor. It does feel spongy, weak and light, but it's intentionally designed that way.

Also note that the 2000 ML has BrakeAssist, which senses a panic stop based on how quickly and how powerfully the brake pedal is pressed after suddenly letting up the accelerator pedal. In a panic braking situation, BrakeAssist will take over the brakes for four seconds by pulling them down to the floor, allowing the ABS to activate (pulsing the brakes to a quick stop), and then a second later, release the pedal to normal position. That would explain the long travel on the brake pedal, for BrakeAssist..

At first, I thought the brakes felt weak, with long pedal travel, like the discs and rotor were worn (on a factory new vehicle), but it's been exactly the same on every ML I've driven and owned. .

Reply to
Newsgroup Reader

Yes, all exactly the same experience I have had with the ML brakes. And yes, I can also press my pedal to the floor at idle. It's all apparently normal behavior.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

All current Mercs have BAS though, they don't all have long pedal travel.

Reply to
miknik