XJSC V12 fuel tank pressure

Hi, I have an '86 Australian V12 XJSC, which whenever I open the petrol cap, releases a huge amount of pressure. Open the cap (hot or cold day, full tank or almost empty) and there is a big whoosh for a couple of seconds. A bit embarrassing at the crowded petrol station!

I understand we need pressure in the tank to prevent vaporisation, but too much will cause petrol leaks, whilst too much of a vacuum is not good for the tank nor pump either.

Just wondering if anyone else with a similar car (I.e. emission set up) has the same experience when opening the cap or is it just mine? If so and you fixed it, what did you find?

Thanks all, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

In the US there was a recall on the situation you describe some years ago... check with your local Jag dealer. Basically, it replaced an earlier tank vent valve (in the front left wheel arch) with Rochester valve #CBC 7114.

Reply to
WayneC