Strong Vapour Pressure in Gas Tank?

Hey Everyone,

I've got an '89 VW Cabriolet. Over the past few months, when it's been warm and I've been driving for a while there's been a strong scent of gas back by the tank. Of course it's never reproducible at the mechanic.

Also of late, when I take the gas cap off there has been a strong whoosh as vapours exhaust from the tank, almost as if the tank is over-pressured. (This never happens in my Nissan pickup).

Today, I filled the tank after driving for about an hour in rush hour stop-and-go traffic. The tank was still two-thirds full and the WHOOSH and resultant venting was so strong when I removed the gas cap that fuel literally sprayed out of filler neck/opening and down the side of the car (and all over my pants!). Probably a good half-liter or so of fuel.

Seems to me like there's a strong vapour-pressure building up in the tank. Might also explain the scent of fuel when it's warm.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this and what I should be doing to correct it?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada

Reply to
Geoff Glave

PS I'll also add that I certainly don't live in Death Valley. Today the outside temperature on the drive home was probably 15C / 60F -ish.

GG

Reply to
Geoff Glave

I would start by having you mechanic check the purge system to make sure it's working.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Most vehicles now have hoses that suck the excess fumes back to the engine to be burned....maybe the hose is blocked. Just a thought.

Reply to
Mystic

Definitely a problem with your evaporative emission control system (fuel tank, tank cap, charcoal canister, canister inlet filter and canister purge valve, plus all associated hoses, lines and control electronics if applicable). Have it corrected as soon as you can.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern