Xtype versus mercedes C comparison wanted

We currently have 2000 model Mercedes C-320 Kompressor which replaced a 1994 C-280. The lease will soon be up on the current Benz and we are looking at another C Class Benz and a Jaguar 3.0 Xtype. I would appreciate any comparisons from people who have been through the same purchase decision.

Our location is in the USA Midwest and both cars would be 2004 models equipped with a 3 liter V6, automatic transmission and all wheel drive.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Blake

Hey STU, Wie Geht's?

Long time no see, and gosh, I can't believe what my eyes have read! I mean, you're "Mr. BUICK" and have a history of trying to persuade people away from the Jaguar Marque. Now you recommend one? I tell you the lure of Jag is powerful indeed.

I know I have confronted you in the past and that your post relects that when you said "Nothing like prior messenger claims". You will never find me in Buick NG talking of its shortcomings (Actually I am quite fond of BUICK). So STU, what is it? Are you a Jag owner now or not?

Regards, DieInterim

Reply to
DieInterim

Reply to
stuart8181

It's just an act ... ;^)

EEEP! You're right. I just noticed that in the original post. Hell, based on *that*, I probably would have told him to just buy a Jeep. Serve him right, don't you think?

Fair enough.

Yup. Been there; done that. Old Quattros could be locked up; my Ford and Jeep can be locked up. Gets pretty skittish when they all insist on turning at the same time. Hasn't happened in the Jag.

Remarkably, even better, for two or three reasons. The Quattros were as good as unassisted acceleration could be, but on the four Dunlop M3s I mounted (Reason #1), the Jaguar traction control (Reason #2) makes it nothing short of amazing. I put the hammer down coming from snow-covered stops and the thing takes off at a rate I never imagined possible! Reason #3 is my more recent 'adjustment' to living in Wisconsin against my better judgment: an 8 hp 26" snow thrower. The Quattros taught me that there are some depths of snow where AWD will not help - and the Jag ride height is lower than the Audis ever were, so I take a few passes down the drive any time more than a half a foot of snow falls or drifts into it.

-- C.R. Krieger (Still delighted with X-)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Wie Geht's?

I just wanted to let you know that today I flogged an X-type around the Portland International Raceway. This was a 2004 model with an automatic transmission.

I do believe that the "x" has improved greatly over the early versions. I honestly believe that if the transmission firmware was modified and and the annoying speed limiter removed it would be a car I would be pleased with.

So there! ;-p (See I can reform!)

But then... I drove a E-type convertable and nearly forgot all about the modern Jags in the mirror. (sigh)

Peace,

Blake

Reply to
DieInterim

'S'geht gut! But don't be deceived. The Kriegers from which *I'm* descended were in Holmes County, Ohio, by 1840 ...

And it was more fun than you've had in a car with all your clothes on all year, right?

I knew you could!

If you've got a few minutes for the download, the story of my drive in a 507 (with a decent photo) is here, starting on page 3:

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

it would be a car

(= Hey that must have certainly been a great day! I think the greatest thrill in my car-life was helping the neighbor fire and warm his Stanley Steamers (2) and then cruising the backroads of Idaho together as if in the old'n days. But that was another era and the Bimmer you drove is exceptional, of the first order.

Blake "Poor ol' Rover, the auto came and took over."

Reply to
DieInterim