2004 Lexus ES300 or Mercedes C320

We currently have a 2000 C-230 Kompressor (4 dr Saloon) and previously had the 1995 C280. We have loved both of these cars as did our 30 year old daughter. She also bought a 2000 C-230 Kompressor just like ours. Here we are nearing another new car decision and find that we are equally split on a

2003/4 Mercedes C-320 or a 2003/4Lexus ES-300.

As they both have their plusses and minuses it seems to come down to reliability and purpose. It seems that the perception of quality has recently gone down for the Benz C Class while the Lexus ES-300 seems to hold its' own near the top in owner surveys. The design of the Lex seems to be more toward a luxury sedan while the Benz seems to be designed for a younger, sportier audience. For a point of reference we are 56 and 60 years old.

I am interested in hearing from those of you that have recently made the same decision. What choice did you make and what were the major factors in your decision. None of our three Cs have been trouble free but none of the problems have been significant and were corrected quickly by the dealer.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Blake

I had 7 Mercedes over the years. Trust me, the Lexus experience trumps MB by a longshot. And, frankly, at your age, you'll appreciate the smoother more refined ride of an ES300 vs the MB C Class which, as you say, is more geared toward an "entry level" crowd.

Reply to
B.D. Newman

I currently have an ES in the garage on loan from a local Lexus dealer. The ES is far more car than the C class in all respects. It is not an E class but close. Take a hard look at the ES before buying.

Reply to
Stuck in Central Florida

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

Anyone who puts a supercharger on a too-small engine in a medium-sized car because they are unwilling to put a proper-sized six in (so they can charge you even more for said six as an upgrade) ought to lose points big time for price gouging.

Reply to
GRL

Maybe you should look at the new Acura TL 3.2 type S that is out in 2004. Check out the pictures:

0262 The HP is going to be approx 275 and should match or beat features & reliability of the ES300.

My 2 cents.

Vinnie ======= If I had a choice, it would the new TL 3.2.

Reply to
vinniemak

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

I personally would not compare a German car to a Japanese car. A Lexus is only an overpriced Toyota. If you "loved" the Mercedes, why even consider anything else?

Reply to
Jeff

I have owned and driven both brands. The C class still drives like my old

190. That is not bad, but sure as hell is not good. The ES is just a very nice Toyota, it has a ride like a Buick. Look at the BMW for a true driving experience.
Reply to
Stuck in Central Florida

I am sure that the Lexus is a good car, but a Mercedes has that German feel to it. Some prefer it, some don't. A Lexus feels like a Japanese car. It's a matter of opinion.

Reply to
Jeff

If they are the same price in your area go for the C320 and then sell it and buy a fully loaded ES300

More room, features, and power and the money you still have left.... send it to me for giving you such good advice :)

Reply to
nGT

Reply to
Jerryatric

Yeah...when you ride it, the linguering feeling of anal rape by the salemsman who sold you the car for thousands more than its worth. I wanted to buy a BMW530 but ended up buying GS300. More power, more options, better look. Got naivigation, every posssible option and still aid less then a bare BMW.

Reply to
nGT

Reply to
Jerryatric

The ES300 is more "luxury" oriented than the C320. It rides softer, is roomier, and a little quieter. The C320 is a little sportier driving and has the MB "panache" that a Lexus doesn't have, yet.

The Lexus should be much more reliable, but once debugged, the C-Class should have a long service life.

Actually, the Lexus which is most like the C320 is the IS300.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid

That's certainly true. CR compared the listing of the most reliable manufacturers from 15 years ago to day. Back in 1988, Mercedes-Benz was #1...now, they are #25, their place having been taken by, you guessed it, Lexus.

It's been a shocking decline for MB, and their merging with Chrysler will certainly only compound the problem.

Reply to
Mike

The reason why is that Mercedes have dropped their quality WELL BELOW that of Lexus. You want to overpay for a lower quality elephant. Well then have at it.

Reply to
Jimmy Smith

I was fed up with the Mercedes dealers in my area. They charge me arms and legs and give me nothing. At least at Lexus, they treat me like a king and best of all, I always get a RX300 as a loaner car to enjoy while my LS400 is in service.

My 2 cents

-B

Reply to
binhp