TJ Tailgate Hinge Bolt Removal

Can anyone offer some advice on what the best way to get the hinge bolts out is ?

I have a T40 socket which seemed to be better at grinding the head rather than actually turning one of the bolts. I gave the whole lot a soak in PB blaster last night but other than that is there anything I can do other than get the bolts drilled out ?

Thanks Keith

Reply to
Keith Orbell

You might try a good quality impact bit.

Reply to
billy ray

From my experience with those torx suckers, the triple coating of paint inside them (under coat, color, clear coat) means you cannot fit the correct bit into it. So you have a tight fitting, one size too small, of a bit, then you apply torque and the paint layers crush and the bit reams out the screw faster than you can blink.

I have also found that Jeep used a thread sealer on most body bolts that requires a torch to de-activate.

I have only had success using a torch first to really heat the bolt and burn or peel the now soft paint out so the bit fits properly, then it will slowly turn out likely needing torque all the way.

I expect to have to paint the hinge after and try not to tag the body paint with the torch.

Then when I have to drill one out, I use a bit about 2/3 the size of the bolt and aim it slightly to one edge so I 'just' tag the threads. This leaves the bolt looking like a hollow 3/4 moon shape that always has been able to back out fairly easily and the hole will still hold a new bolt.

Mike

Mike Romain

Machine shop where I used to have busted off studs removed used left handed drill bits. They told me sometimes the bit would grab onto the stud and pull it right out. They are also good for practical jokes. These look like a reasonable deal.

One thing that you absolutely do not want to use, on any busted off stud or stripped bolt, is an "Easy Out", especially the spiral ones. Unless you want to swell up the thing you want to remove, and then break off a piece of hardened metal in it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks Earle.

I actually managed to get one bolt undone, from that I was then able to get its' pair free by moving the nut plate behind the body.

These certainly look like the thing to try for the bolts of the other hinge.

(I already heard about these so-called "Easy Out"s.. tempting as they seem!)

Keith

Reply to
Keith Orbell

Thermite...

Reply to
Grumman-581

In case anyone is taking this little side thread seriously, I would advise against it. Heating steel in the presence of oxygen can cause metallurgical changes that render it unsuitable for its original purpose. The usual result of blasting out a stud with oxygen, is hardening of the metal in the vicinity of the hole, so that taps and drill bits just break off in it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Earle Horton did pass the time by typing:

Not to mention what it does to the paint. :)

Reply to
DougW

A small shaped charge should remove the bolt, a larger one the entire problem...

Reply to
billy ray

Thanks for the follow up. I am curious, do the back hinge bolts on the TJ use that thread sealer like the windshield and door ones on the older Jeeps use? Could save someone some paint maybe some day...

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III