1990 wrangler V8 swap question

I have a 90 Sahara witha 4.2L engine that has just died on me. I am planning on doing a motor swap soon and I was looking for a 4.0L. Today however I got the option of picking up a 95 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the V8 and only 75k that was hit in the rear for only $500. I have done a ton of research and have all the info I need for the 4.0L swap, but I haven't been able to find much on this type of swap. Is it any more dificult then the 4.0 swap, what type of money am I loking at, or is it even worth it to do in the first place? Any info, sugestions, opinions or even a finger pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Randy

Reply to
OctaviousMonk

The 1995 V8 is a Dodge Truck Magnum V8, from a totally different line from the 4.2L and the 4.0L engines. In principle, you could take the engine, transmission, and transfer case from the GC, and drop the whole mess into the Sahara. Hook up the drive shafts, exhaust pipes, electricals, etc. and you are done. However it is likely that no one, in the history of Jeeps, has done this before. Certainly no one has posted the results on any bulletin board, news group, or magazine article that I have seen. The difference, is like comparing the 4.0 to driving west from Washington DC on I-70, versus being Lewis and Clark in 1803 with the V8.

I am not trying to discourage you. Rather, if you have your own machine shop, and exhaust pipe bending equipment, and an acute eye for detail, then your success is all but assured. I thought of doing something similar about six years ago, but instead I elected to learn a foreign language from scratch, become reasonably fluent in it, and survive for six months in a non-English-speaking country, learn the customs, make friends, etc. It turned out to be easier.

I vote for the 4.0. If you decide to do the Magnum V8, by all means get at least a magazine article out of it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
RoyJ

I'd hate to read a post in which you WERE trying to discourage someone, Earl.

lol

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

It hasn't been done much, but it has been done. It requires a higher than average level of mechanical, welding, and fabrication skill.

The payoff is worth it, but you can get the same payoff, quicker, by putting a Ford or Chevy motor in it.

An injected 4.0 from a newer Jeep would be the best all around swap for ya, and you'd be staying within the Jeep family.

I'm a purist, I believe Jeeps should have Jeep motors, Fords with Fords, Chevy's with Chevy's, etc.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

My approach is better than leading people on, and then having them abandon the project half way through. The GC engine is not really a Jeep engine; it is a Dodge truck engine. Of course, the 4.0 is not really a Jeep engine either; it is a Nash Rambler engine. Even my 2.5 litre "Jeep" engine, is a shortened version of the same Nash Rambler engine. I think that the last real Jeep engine, was that horrid F-head thing. No, it was the overhead cam "Tornado 6", that pissed oil all over the road, unless pampered shamelessly from new.

If you really have to do this, at least get a spiffy looking Magnum decal or emblem for it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Okay, let me rephrase, if we're going to be technical.

Ford with Ford, Chevy with Chevy, and Jeep with whatever the factory bought from somewhere else to put in them.

I had a '63 Wagoneer with the "Tornado 230" in it, and a two speed transmission.

That was a bullet proof motor. Mine was, I'm not speaking for all of them, but I was told that it was a Pontiac design.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Hi Randy, Your have a 94" wheelbase for plenty of room. I don't see a problem other than finding someone that'll SMOG a lawnmower. I don't know where you would find information on wiring your computers, maybe swap harnesses and everything. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:>

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Ahh, thank you sir!

I don't remember who told me it was Pontiac, but I honestly didn't know for sure, just that mine was a good one.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

So the F-head would have been the last "real Jeep" engine then?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to