LP Dana 30 Housings

Can anybody tell me whether the Dana 30 axle housings and gears are the same or not between a 2002 TJ Sport and a '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited? They are both low pinion housings with 3.73 gears. The Grand has CV shafts and ABS, the TJ has good old U-Joints and no ABS. However, the size and spline count of the axle shafts is the same right? There may be some difference in the knuckles that I don't care about, and the Grand has some sort of fancy doohickey on the front of the front driveshaft, but the pinions should be the same, eh?

The reason I ask is because the bearings are shot in the Grand Cherokee's font axle (they're making noise) and I'm in the process of swapping out the TJ front axle. I thinking of bolting the TJ's Dana 30 housing onto the ZJ, keeping the ZJ knuckles and axle shafts on the ZJ. Will this work?

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

No one on this newsgroup knows anything about recent Jeep Dana 30s? Seems hard to believe ...

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Sorry Peter, wouldn't want you to bet your money on my guess ..... The Jeep dealer should tell you if the part numbers are the same.

Dave Milne

The TJ housing will bolt on to the ZJ control arms and track bar. The ZJ knuckles (and with them brakes & steering) will bolt on to the TJ housing. I believe however that the dimensions of CV and U-joints are different and you'll need to machine and weld spacers to push the knuckles out to compensate. The TJ axles will fit the ZJ side gears.

Might be easier to replace the bearings.

Steve

Peter P> Can anybody tell me whether the Dana 30 axle housings and gears are the same

Reply to
Steve

Thicker (the ring gear, not you). And only the carrier is Japanese. The gears are Dana.

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You really think I'll need to do this machining and welding of spacers if I keep the ZJ knuckles and CV shafts on the ZJ and just swap axle housings? Aren't the housings the same width, and use the same ball joints? I'm not planning on swapping TJ shafts into the ZJ - it'll keep it's stock daily-driving CV axle shafts.

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

Sorry, I was thinking you wanted to use the TJ shafts. Should be fairly painless to swap the ZJ knuckles and shafts to the TJ housing.

Steve

Peter P> You really think I'll need to do this machining and welding of spacers if I

Reply to
Steve