TJ axle nut size

What is the size of the axle nut for a 2002 TJ? I assume it is 36mm but am not sure. After my friend snapped the u-joint I would like to carry the tools to remove the parts on the trail.

Reply to
snowboardripper

You are correct.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

There is no need to touch that axle nut unless you are replacing the hub or it's pressed in bearings.

It 'can' allow the hub to separate even. I have seen that two or three times lately when called in for help. In one case, the hub had to be replaced, the bearings got wrecked when he tried to compress it back together using the axle nut.

The whole hub and spindle and axle pull out as one piece and you just change the u-joint behind it so you just need the brake caliper 'wrench or tool' and the socket for the 3 hub flange bolts and a BFH to get it moving the first time. I carry a spare bolt to use with the BFH to pound on for stuck ones.

I have a 3/4" old socket that works well for tapping out the old u-joint also.

The last front one I had to do on my Cherokee took an hour including going to get the parts. (noticed it just before going camping, that time I sunk the Cherokee up to the lights in the 'puddle' I think)

It is a 36 mm anyway to answer your question.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

You may also want to carry a tie bar end puller. I had to remove the tie bar to get a good swing at the hub flange bolts to get the hub to come out. If you want to avoid the trouble on the trail, you could do the job at home and put anti-seize on everything to make sure it comes out easily when needed.

Reply to
nrs

I have managed to get clearance by cutting the steering side to side for each. The bottom one worked easiest with the steering cut so it's an open swing from the front with the BFH.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

This website has a ton of TJ info

Reply to
ufatbastehd