1999 Grand Cherokee A/C Smells bad

My gf's 1999 Grand Cherokee Air Conditioner smells like horse poop when you run it. It pretty much smells like this in any mode except heat mode. Any ideas how to fix this?

Reply to
Mark12211

While I don't profess to be an AC mechanic, I do know that "crap in the air" can lodge, or otherwise, stick onto the surface of the evaporator coils of the AC unit. As warm air is passed through the evaporator coil, any moisture in the air condenses upon contact with the cold surfaces of the coil. This is what drains out onto the ground. Now, when the unit is consistently run at a low temperature, not enough cooling of the coil is generated to keep the coil "washed off". Running the unit at a lower temperature on a more consistent basis, will create more moisture, ergo -- more cooling, more moisture, more washing off the debris (bacteria) that accumulates on the evaporator coil. Solution: Run the unit at lower temperatures. However, since the evaporator coil is already fouled, you will have to gain access to it, and use one of the "spray can" applications available to clean it.

The above was experienced by me via window AC units. Some units smelled so badly, they'd gag a maggot! Their owners either could not afford to run them cold enough, or were too cheap to do so.

Respectfully,

G Oxner

Reply to
Delta Orion

As luck would have it, Click and Clack just answered this...

Bill