1999 Grand Cherokee Jack points

Gang, I need to change rotors on my 1999 Grand Cherokee. As I look at the following link

It appears you cannot use a floor jack under the front Axle tube to jack up the truck. Can I put a Jack Stand under the Front Axle Tube after I jack it up from the frame rail points? Anyone know why you cant use the front axle as a lift point? Or am I wrong and I can use it? Thanks

Reply to
Anthony T

There should be a sticker where the spare tire or jack sits that shows the reinforced jacking points.

They made the new diffs too weak to hold the vehicle weight except directly under the springs it would seem.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

For rotors I jack on the subframe then put a jack stand under the axle tube where the track arms mount (or close to there)

You can sorta see the stand in this pic

What you want to avoid is jacking under the diff.

Reply to
DougW

In article , Anthony T wrote: #Gang, #I need to change rotors on my 1999 Grand Cherokee. As I look at the #following link

It appears #you cannot use a floor jack under the front Axle tube to jack up the truck. #Can I put a Jack Stand under the Front Axle Tube after I jack it up from the #frame rail points? Anyone know why you cant use the front axle as a lift #point? Or am I wrong and I can use it? Thanks I've gotten away with putting the stand right under the point where the spring meets the axle. YMMV.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Reply to
Anthony T

Dunno. These came with a sticker for direction of rotation and I followed that. I think it matters more the vent pattern inside the rotor. Those had 80,000 miles on them when I took that photo.

Here is another pic from 4x4wire

And NAGCA
Could be Stillen changed the design. You might want to send them one of those links (or mine) and ask if that's the right way.

What ever you do, if you put on new rotors it's critical you follow stillen's breakin procedure. I've seen folks that didn't and the rotors just don't last.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Anthony T