1999 Jeep Grand CherokeeTransmission and Interior lighting problems

When I first start my jeep and begin driving it the transmission will not shift into the higher gears until it warms up alittle. After it finally shifts into the higher gears I don't seem to have a problem any more until I start it up cold the next time around. Is something getting ready to fall apart?? Is this normal, and am I just going to have to live with it?

Also the interior light that high lights the gear shift positions isn't comming on anymore. Sometimes it will decide to turn on after a while of driving around but then it will go back off 10 min. later. It can't make up its mind. What needs to be done to remedy the problem.

Reply to
jumperusa

Depending on how cold is cold, I'd say it just sounds like normal winter engine operation to me. It doesn't go into the highest gear so it's revving a little more and bringing itself as quickly and safely as possible to normal operating temp. At least that's a normal winter thing for here up in Canada.

Reply to
Bob Jones

jumperusa did pass the time by typing:

Get the fluid changed.

Depending on the model but at some time Jeep switched from a lightbulb to an EL (Electroluminecent) doodad. If you have the EL that's a sign the transformer is failing, an if that is the case I'd look at how to fit an aftermarket lamp because the EL stuff is way overpriced.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
philthy

DougW proclaimed:

After getting the transmission properly serviced by anyone other than AAMCO, check to see if your owner's manual tells you exactly which gears are inhibited until the transmission reaches working temperature. You should have trouble shifting to only those gears. Anything else is fluid or the fluid temperature sensor or the controller.

Reply to
Lon