2000 Cherokee Fule Filter

I just purchased the 2000 Cherokee with 135k miles. I'm trying to snuff it up all the way around. The fuel filter is my next concern. Where is it located??? Can't seem the find it. Do I need to install an inline filter? What is you recommendation? Thanks from a new Jeep driver.

Reply to
jb

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Bill...., he needs the XJ diagram where the filter mounts above the tank instead of the WJ location in front of the tank. .

Reply to
billy ray

If the filter mounts above the tank, the tank would have to be removed? Ouch.

Reply to
jb

I've seen web pictures of a flap cut above the unit. I'm sure someone here had the page or the measurements.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
philthy

Tank removal isn't as bad a job as it seems, at least on my TJ...I've had it out a couple of times for various reasons, but not to replace the filter yet.

It's easier when the tank is close to empty though, and when us>> The 2000 Cherokee 4.0 L and 2.5 L has "strainers" at the fuel pump.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Matt Macchiarolo did pass the time by typing:

You can also disconnect the line at the rail and run the fuel pump manually to drain the tank. Just make sure you have a good catch can and secure the hose because the pump puts out a lot of pressure and volume.

That or a hose to siphon it out. I found the pump to be faster.

Do not underestimate the weight of fuel and the difficulty of managing a sloshing tank. Anything above E is going to be a pain in the ass.

By the time I get to do my tank I'll have probably done five others. (as long as they bring beer it's all ok.) :D

Reply to
DougW

The rollover check valve precludes trying to siphon the tank. Best to drain it or run it till it's almost empty.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo