2001 GC not starting

Good day,
I drove into a parking garage today after driving 50 miles on the freeway
and parked the 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo. On my return later I found that
the car doesn't work. None of the gages (Jeep's spelling) seem to activate
other than the battery that goes up to maybe 9. None of the other gages
move, not even the fuel or oil. The lights that stay on is check gages and
the security key (doesn't blink). Tried putting the car in neutral and
tried starting the car, it definitely didn't like that and didn't even
bother trying to start. The car would try and try to start, but nothing.
I called AAA and the guy tries jump starting. No start. They put gas in it
"because he can smell fuel" (sure he can). No start. He tries banging really
hard on the fuel filter. No go. So he says he'll call a tow truck. An hour
and half later the guy shows up, says he can't tow the car since it's a 4x4.
He tries banging on the fuel filter. No go. So now I'll need to get a small
tow truck to get me out of the space I'm in. My battery is running really
low now since the lights are dimming.
After they're gone thinking it might be the security system I tried turning
my alarm on/off/on/off and then opening my tailgate. No go. Same thing.
The battery cable was loose when I went to it initially. I tightened it and
all the lights, even the headlight was nice and bright. Before I left the
car for the night I unplugged the battery from the terminal.
Any ideas how I might be able to fix this problem instead of calling a tow
truck to yank my truck out? If it's something I can't fix right then and
there should I bring it to a dealer or an independent repair shop?
Thanks for your time and patience and thanks in advance.
Nathan
Reply to
huh?
When you said it would "try and try to start", did you mean the engine was turning over, and if so was it fast? Or did it barely turn over. In other words, if it's a weak battery, put in a new one and take it immediately in the daylight to have the charging system checked. If it is turning over fine, but won't start, it may have a bad fuel pump, sometimes you can whack the bottom of the fuel tank near the axle on the bottom with a hammer, and get one more start out of it. It could also have a leaky gas line. Hard to tell, since you weren't all that specific.
Spdloader
Reply to
Spdloader
Thank you for taking the time to respond. The engine turned over quickly (sounded like a normal turnover; not a slow low battery crank). The road repair guy tried a new battery but that didn't help. He also said it was probably a bad fuel pump, but would that stop all the gauges from working?
Nathan
Reply to
huh?
That opens several other doors. A bad fuel pump is one. The gauges aren't working at all, or just when the motor is turning over? Could be a bad computer, or loss of voltage to it. Could be a dirty or broken ground in the engine harness.
Spdloader
Reply to
Spdloader
I ended up calling a tow truck and they brought it to a mechanic. We're thinking it might be a crankshaft sensor.
Reply to
huh?
for future reference, I received the truck back and it was indeed a crankshaft sensor. I credit Kevin at
for getting the answer correct.
Reply to
huh?
> for getting the answer correct.>
Awesome, I'm glad to hear it's fixed. I was out of guesses, which is about all you can do via internet anyway.
BUT, don't call it a truck, it's a Jeep.
Later,
Spdloader
Reply to
Spdloader
Hi James, Probably because if you looked up a part it would be only listed under trucks:
Although, it's been a long timesince a Jeep would qualify as a utility vehicle. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

** Posted from
**
Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III
Hee-hee. Okay, the Jeep. ;-)
Thanks for your suggestions, Spdloader. I'm always appreciative of people that take the time to help others.
Nathan
>> for getting the answer correct.>>
Reply to
huh?