2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 liter automatic

Okay guys I need some assistance,

I have no illumination in the automatic transmission / Transfer case at night.

I original assumed that the bulbs had burned out but when I removed the console I found not bulbs but an electro-lumiscent panel.

I was unable to borrow a voltmeter but I was able to get a 12v test light. There is power going into a "black box" that is between the wiring harness and the electro-lumiscent panel. The output side of the "black box" did not illuminate the tester but I do not know what voltage would be on the output side.

Is there a way to test this "black box" or the electro-lumiscent panel?

Thanks,

-billy

Reply to
Billy Ray

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Now Bill, I am sure there are drivers of American cars that are too stupid to figure out how to put their vehicle in park. I might even be one of them.

Any ideas on how to test the "black box" or the lumiscent panel?

Reply to
Billy Ray

For sure, that's why the only vehicles over here with clutch interlocks are US built :-)

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

In terms of us becoming more litigious ? Can't disagree with you sadly. Or did you mean me forgetting to depress the clutch ? Nah, it took me 6 months to realise the interlock was there as I always depress it. Only found out when my Dad complained it wouldn't start.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Billy Ray did pass the time by typing:

It's 60-120 volts at about 2-5kHz.

Sure, but you need test equipment. Your basic testlamp isn't going to cut it.

Here's some reading

DougW

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
tim bur

Another good idea which will never see the light of day in the US due to the trial lawyer lobby in Washington.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Matt Macchiarolo did pass the time by typing:

They do that up in Canada. As for anything there is an up side and a down side. The real fault lies with the juries that award the plaintiff in these frivolous lawsuits. I sat on one of these and simply refused to find against the defendant. The plaintiff was either dumber than a sack of rocks or dead set to make a living out of being an idiot.

Reply to
DougW

Okay Doug,

If I have power going in and the panel is just about indestructible then the only thing left is the black box which I am assuming is a transformer. It is removable but if , as tim asserts, it is not available then I guess it is time to hit the junkyard.

Do you agree it is, most likely, the transformer?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Billy Ray did pass the time by typing:

That would be my first thought but you need a multimeter to measure if it is putting anything out. It is possible to have broken contacts or wires. The box doesn't come apart does it?

Reply to
DougW

I did not look at it with that in mind so I can't say for sure. I am thinking that is not openable without breaking it open.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Do you guys have a "small claims court" ? You pay a fixed cost of 100 quid to file and can claim up to £500 ; no jury or lawyers and the judge decides everything.

Dave Milne

Dave Milne did pass the time by typing:

Yes, we have small claims courts. Claims up to $6,000, don't know what the cost is but I think it's about $50 or so. Each state has a slightly different regulations.

This is for Oklahoma.

DougW

I should have listened to tim, he was correct. I went to the local junkyard....err auto salvage and recycling center... and they had no clue as to what I was referring to but decided the only way I could get it was to sell me the entire automatic transmission / transfer case mechanism as a unit...... except they already managed to get some SAP to do just that and they didn't have a whole unit to sell me.

There is a "pick & pay" junkyard on the other side of the river so I think I may go over there and tell them I want headlights or something then come back with just the parts I need. (Sorry, you did not have what I needed mate but I will take these while I am here")

I guess I can understand their side, why sell me a part for $5 today if some poor SAP *might* give them $100 three years from now. Of course they may well have lost a repeat customer but I assume they don't care about that.

Reply to
Billy Ray