2003 Rubicon

My friend just bought a 2003 Rubicon. It is stuck in park in such a way that the release button cannot be depressed all the way. Is this a common problem with these vehicles? Does any know what causes this to occur and how can it be corrected?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Wild Bill

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Clap Trap

we knew about the having the foot on the brake...we did not know about and have not yet tried the "trick" suggested by Bill Hughes...

Reply to
Wild Bill

When I replaced the turn signal switch, I disconnected the cable from the shifter to the steering lock at the wheel.

Surprizingly, the stealership didn't reconnect it when they were in there. They must have figured I wanted it that way.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

The lady's ex-husband came over and pushed extremely hard on the brake pedal and got the "park" button to engage. Would anyone think this would be a defective or dirty switch on the brake pedal?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Wild Bill

There is a cable called the "brake transmission shift interlock cable" that prevents the transmission from being shifted out of park unless the brake pedal is depressed.

Here are the adjustment procedures straight from the '06 Wrangler Service Manual:

  1. Shift transmission into PARK
  2. Remove shift lever bezel and console screws. Raise bezel and console for access to cable.
  3. Pull cable lock button up to release cable.
  4. Use a spacer to create a one millimeter gap between the shifter pawl and top of the shift gate.
  5. Pull the cable forward and release. Ensure the cable end is seated in the bellcrank and press cable lock button down until it snaps into place.

I have not done this myself, but am just telling you what the Service Manual says.

It seems that if it's a 2003, it should still be under warranty, so this would be a free adjustment at the dealer.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Oops, sorry, I left out a step. See corrected instructions below:

  1. Shift transmission into PARK
  2. Remove shift lever bezel and console screws. Raise bezel and console for access to cable.
  3. Pull cable lock button up to release cable.
  4. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position
  5. Use a spacer to create a one millimeter gap between the shifter pawl and top of the shift gate.
  6. Pull the cable forward and release. Ensure the cable end is seated in the bellcrank and press cable lock button down until it snaps into place.

Reply to
mabar

Reply to
Wild Bill