2004 GC "5-speed" automatic

From what I understand, this transmission isn't really a 5-speed. According to what I've read, it has 2 second gears!! One is used while it's upshifting and the other is used when it's downshifting? Is this for real? And, if so, what good is it? I'd much rather have a "real" 5-speed.

Reply to
j carter

It is a 4-speed... and yes, two different 2nd gears. One is more for performance, the other is just normal driving.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

You do indeed get two different ratios depending on whether you are upshifting or downshifting. Not sure what is wrong with that, YMMV.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

What's RIGHT with it? What good is it? (I'm not practicing to be a flamer. I'm about ready to BUY a new GC due to all of the year-end discounts.)

Reply to
j carter

You get 5 different effective ratios. The difference between that and a "true" 5 speed gearbox is of interest to gearheads.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

It's use is it's a passing gear, to fill the void when you're going too fast to downshift to 2nd but a downshift to 3rd doesn't give you the necessary acceleration. so it's ratio that fits in between..

I'm waiting for that last end of year rebate push too.

but V8 jeeps are in short supply around here, dealers that stock 25-35 Grand Cherokees only have 1-2 V8's.

If you are really serious about buying before the year end, email me back and I might have so info of interest to you. ---Gre g---

Reply to
Greg

I'm definetly interested so I e-mailed you. (Just a reminder to keep my name in mind and not to throw me out with the rest of the unfamiliar- named junk!)

Reply to
j carter

FYI

The transmission is a true 5 speed, AND also has a alternate 2nd gear.

Gear ratio:1

1st 3.00 2nd (upshift) 1.67 2nd (kickdown) 1.50 3rd 1.00 4th 0.75 5th 0.67 Reverse 3.00

5th gear is a second overdrive, for gas saving and quieter highway driving.

The alternate second gear help to smooth high-speed downshifts an maintain a higher road speed. Makes towing easier.

Reply to
Mark12211

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)