Why are Liberty's so expensive compared to Wranlers...

Having driven both, I can tell you that technically speaking, well, Liberty's are lame.

Reply to
souza.jason

Thanks for the in depth technical report.

Reply to
doane_nut

Nobody but DC knows what they were trying to accomplise with the Lib, also it is being totally redone for the 2008 model. Supposed to make it look more the like its "gansta window" stablemates.

You have no idea how lucky I feel to own an old CJ...

Good luck, Bruce

Reply to
Highcountry

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

They have real doors

Reply to
McAlisters

Real Jeeps don't have real doors

Jeff DeWitt

McAlisters wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

I disagree. The last Libby I looked at was an '06. Underneath, the drivetrain looked to be very capable to me, and for mall-running, the V-6 is fine. For city-dwellers, the ride is nice and there's plenty of room inside for children. The model I looked at (2x4) was only around $18k, which is very reasonable. My TJL stickered for $26k.

Reply to
Outatime

I have a 02 which I use as my family ride. got not probs with it. It does what I expect it to do. It's not a YJ or a TJ its just what I bought a KJ.. My 02 cost me 25 its a limited fully loaded. Is paid off now more money to throw at the YJ!!!

People gotta get off the senseless B**tching comparing a KJ to a YJ, TJ or a Cherokee. It is what it is, don't buy one if you don't like it. Move on, Go forward. Cherish your real Jeeps keep them goiing thats what you need to do as "Real Jeepers"

I consider my YJ a classic and will do whatever I can to keep her going. That said my KY as I stated above is just what I expected a KJ

Reply to
ufatbastehd

I use my wife's 02 KJ for a jeep. I hauled a deer out of the woods in it this last fall. I have used it to unstick the 99 TJ. It hauls cow feed, deer corn, etc. We drove it from Texas to the midwest and made a loop around Lake Michigan. Would not try that in our TJ. I drive it through the pastures and woods and when I get home I run the hoze over it and drive the old ladies to church in it. And don't let me forget to mention that I have winched the dead TJ (search this group for 'daughter with purple hair) and hauled it a hundred miles with the KJ.

The best thing about the KJ is all thoses 2wd ones that are all over the place. Spare parts for ever!

Reply to
jcwelch

You could get a diesel in the US in 05 and 06 models. My Liberty Limited CRD new was $23k plus T&T. Select trak, Sirius radio and mags. If your a diesel nerd like me that's reason enough to get one. My fuel mileage is almost twice what it was on my 99 XJ and is as much fun to drive.

Reply to
Jo Bo

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1170994295.401337.26280 @l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Whoah, man! I can't follow all that technical jargon! Don't expect me to read a whole book to get your in depth analysis!

Reply to
Barry Bean

"Highcountry" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Its not that hard to figure out, and that's why I have two of them. Its a fine light to moderate duty SUV for people who spend most of their time on the road, do enough off roading to justify 4X4, want a comfortable package, and prefer a smaller wheelbase. Its more economical than my previous SUVs, more comfortable than our farm trucks (where the actual HD work gets done), easily holds 4 adults, but is far more capable than any car on the road, and has a good view of the road to boot. Throw in the fact that you can get all the bells and whistles for about $10K chesaper than comparable Fords or Chevys (and have better mileage and turning radius), and its a nice package.

Reply to
Barry Bean

Perhaps they were accomplishing the same thing as the Grand Cherokee to people who couldn't/wouldn't afford a Grand Cherokee ? Most people who have

4x4s use them to either haul trailers or just because they like the high up driving position or because 2 weeks in a year they just might get stuck in snow. I'm not going to knock DC for servicing that market, as long as they continue to make a vehicle that I want to drive.

Dave Milne, Scotland '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ, Land Rover Discovery 2 v8 ES

Reply to
Dave Milne

The original Liberty's were almost perfect for the niche market at which they were aimed. The problem is that the XJ was designed for a very different niche.

Don't like the Liberty? Then don't buy one.

If you want a 4 door Wrangler, buy one. You will find them longer, wider, taller, and heavier than the WJ and have a smaller engine.

On a positive note they do offer an extra 1/5 inch ground clearance.

Reply to
billy ray

I actually like the Libby. Had several as rental cars and they worked well for four people and baggage. And I could see using one on some of the real tight trails where turning the ZJ is a skeery experience.

To each their own.

Reply to
DougW