Seeking 2004 Grand Cherokee Tire Recommendation

My wife's stock 2004 Grand Cherokee came with P235/65R17 Michelin LTX A/S tires on 17 X 7.5 rims. The stock tires have had a good run with

56,000 miles but it's time to purchase a new set with winter coming around the corner. We live in north western Pennsylvania where we get a great amount of lake effect snow from lake Erie so good winter performance is essential. I would even be open to going to a larger tire size if it will fit the stock rims and not have any body or suspension rub. Any Suggestions?
Reply to
JeePenn

I just had a couple of threads out here concerning tires for our 2001 GC - you might take a look.... The subject line is - GC Tires - xxx

Reply to
Phil Schuman

JeePenn proclaimed:

For deeper snow, the Michelin or Pirelli A/T work pretty good and tend to wear longer than the Bridgestone/Yokohama, etc. Both actually make pretty good all around tires if the slight added noise doesn't bother you. If your snow tends to be packed more, the Michelin Alpine works. 235/75 will fit easily. You can also check out the Tire Rack reviews with the caveat that they are considerably less scientific than those of Consumer Reports and you have no idea on what basis the person giving the review is basing their opinions and what they have or have not compared them to under what conditions.

Reply to
Lon

The limiting factor is the 17 inch rims, they restrict your choices.

What does the owners manual and door plackard say are alternative sizes?

You are probably safe with 255-60x17 or 235-70x17 tires.

I am assuming you want to stay with All-Terrian tires because of the frequent heavy snows.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
tim bur

I think you meant to say speedo drive gear, not pinion angle. Though I am not sure there is a speedo gear in the 04 GC, might be an induction transducer in the Tcase like the Rubicon.

At any rate the tires don't care about pinion angle, only the pinion does, and you would need to change it if you lift.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo