New Goodyear MT/R's

Just posting to tell about my new 30x9.5x15 Goodyear MT/R's on my 89 Cherokee.

Got em mounted up on Wednesday (two 2 weeks to get them in from order!). They look VERY meaty and don't suggest a good ride. Immediately after paying, we set out from Tacoma, WA to Rathdrum, ID (Near Hayden Lake, ID, and about 350 miles from my home).

I had expected a rough, harsh, loud ride, however I was pleasently suprised to see that I lost virtually no ride quality over my old tires, which were

215/75R15 (2 Dean "Grabbers" and 2 Goodyear "RT/S"). Noise level was excellent. No handling was lost, but I did loose a little of the "pep" that I had.

Friday we set out for the mountains in the Jeep. I was not dissapointed in the least about the grab they had. It was mostly gravel logging roads with steep grades, but there was some deep clay/mud up to the bottom of the Jeep that was no challenge in 4-lo. I found the snow traction to be more than adequete. Not only that, I recieved many complements at gas stations (they sure look great!).

Gas mileage was a steady 19mpg in the flats, falling to 18mpg climbing up Snoqualmie pass. Speedometer is about 5mph off, odometer is 1/10th of a mile off. Jeep is 89 Cherokee 4 liter with 5spd. Average speed was about

70-75mph. Gas mileage was calculated: [miles driven + (miles driven/10) ] / gallons re-filled.

Tires cost $129 each + $10 for mount/balance + $10 for road hazard. I also got a $75 mail-in rebate.

All in all so far the tires have almost 1000 miles as we took the long way home and saw the Grand Coulee and the Dry Falls. I have pics of the Jeep doing it's thing if anyone is interested, I'll post them. I am very pleased so far. If anyone is interested, I'll update after about 15,000 miles.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

I have 31's on my TJ. I like them so far (4K miles) on everything except packed snow/ice. THey kind of suck on hard ice, but then any knobby tire would...

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

I have ground the hell out of my mtrs and I have pinched the sidewalls with

8lbs of air in them and they are still great. They make some noise, but the hum is peaceful. KH
Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

I like mine too..

found them a little lumpy when you start rolling but they smooth out veryquickly. I thought they would be A LOT noisier, I'm pleasantly surprised.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Have them sipped...