2004 rubicon noise..

Hey all,

I have a 2004 Rubicon, and last night it started making a high pitched sound. Like the scream from a person 10 inches tall might sound. seemed to be coming from the middle (transfer case?) or rear, haven't been able to pinpoint it yet. It happens as soon as I start rolling, either reverse or forward, then as speed increases the scream sound starts to waver/vibrate, any ideas what this might be?

Thanks, Eric

Reply to
Eric W. Williams

i have no idea what it is, but i can say that we are all praying that it is NOT actually a person 10 inches tall! :-)

martin caskey millers island, maryland

Eric W. Williams wrote:

pitched

Reply to
rmcaskey

Take it to the dealer ! It's under warranty !

Reply to
James Hilins

yepp dealer! been in water/mud lately... my '03 started that...at first intermittently then all the time and turned out it was the cardan joint...dealer replaced front drive shaft... 3 months later it's back with new drive shaft... my friend says the only fix it if you offroad is to pump the joint full a grease... good luck...my dealer started give me the stay outta the mud speach... Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks to all that have replied, I couldn't get into the dealer right away, they were backed up. Scheduled an appointment for Monday, but now the noise has stopped. I was originally hopin to find out how bad it would be to drive it around while waiting till I could get it into the dealer.. Haven't drove it in a couple of days, now it seems o.k. Maybe I'll cancel the appointment..

As for mud/off-roading, haven't been there yet, been babying it really...

Thanks aga>yepp dealer!

Reply to
Eric W. Williams

[...]

though the parts arent the same as your rubicon - my rear diff (d35c) on my 98 made an increasingly loudening whine, high pitched too, in the week before it ate itself.

good luck, and def take it to the dealer... make use of your warranty :D

-Steve, former 98 TJ

Reply to
Goat Crapp