Pink Kate

Hey gal,

You and Mr. Kate need to stay out of the woods until they catch that bear!!

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Dang it, I meant PING!

Freakin' old hands.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I'll stick with Mr. Kate.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I was cool wqith the "Pink" part LOL

it was the "Mr. Kate" that got me. DICK - his name is DICK!

None of youse guys should have trouble remembering that one.

Hey, that bear thing is pretty freaky isn't it. I didn't even know there are bears in this neck of the woods.. Sad about the little girl.

Kate

: > You and Mr. Kate need to stay out of the woods until they catch that : > bear!! : >

: > Spdloader : >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

Huh? Someone post the story...

Reply to
jbjeep

Ok, how about Big.Iron... LOL

Poor guy, he's a Dick and his daddy was a Dick too.

That's now what *I* call him though.

Reply to
Kate

Herre ya go Jenn, it seems to happen pretty often out there.

you google it you will find all sorts of stories about bear attacks out there.

: >>Hey, that bear thing is pretty freaky isn't it. I didn't even know there are : >>bears in this neck of the woods.. : >>Sad about the little girl. : >>

: >>Kate : >>

: >>

: >>

: >>: > You and Mr. Kate need to stay out of the woods until they catch that : >>: > bear!! : >>: >

: >>: > Spdloader : >>: >

: >>: >

: >>: >

: >>: : >>: : >>

Reply to
Kate

I didn't know your husbands name, I meant no disrespect.

Later,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

And since this happened in a National Forest, it illegal to carry a pistol for possible defense, even if you have a carry permit. If those folks had a pistol, that child might be alive today, but the shooter would probably be in jail.

Ridiculous!

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Sorry, I take that back. It IS legal to carry in a National Forest if you have a valid carry permit in that state, or one recognized by that state.

It is NOT legal in a National Park.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Thanks. Oh dear, thats bad.

Reply to
jbjeep

Oh! Wait! None taken! I was just foolin with ya. He was here while I was typing it and laughing.

What's funny is when he is being ornery and I holler at him "You can be SUCH a Dick sometimes!!!" and he laughs and says "Why thank you ma'am" all suth'n like and charming... makes me wanan wring his neck.

I guess you'd have to be there

I wasn't picking at you, I was trying to make you laugh.

Reply to
Kate

What a sin...that is sooo sad...the poor poor family...I couldn't imagine the pain they must feel loosing a six year old like that...makes me soooooo sad...

Jeff

Reply to
4X4PLAY

It really is sad. I just cannot imagine. To go through all that, think you have finallygotten free then to find that it has killed your child.

: > Oh! Wait! None taken! I was just foolin with ya. : > He was here while I was typing it and laughing. : >

: > What's funny is when he is being ornery and I holler at him "You can be : > SUCH a Dick sometimes!!!" : > and he laughs and says "Why thank you ma'am" all suth'n like and : > charming... : > makes me wanan wring his neck. : >

: > I guess you'd have to be there : >

: > I wasn't picking at you, I was trying to make you laugh. : >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

It is VERY ridiculous. I have hiked that area of the country quite a bit in the last 10 years, so I do have some experience on this subject. I have only seen a black bear once on the trail. I have however seen many times IDIOTS in the park get out of their vehicle and walk toward Mama bear and cub as if they thought it might be fun to pet ms. bear and get a cool picture.

Time out here - it is a wild animal with teeth and claws and a very bad temper if she thinks baby is in danger. At that point, YOU become a chew-toy. A black bear can run 35 mph in open terrain, and I guarantee that is 30+ mph faster than you. I have scolded persons for this conduct on more than one ocassion only to be looked at like I have 2 heads.

The root of the problem is two-fold, too many bears and people not understanding they are in the bear's back yard when they venture into the wilderness. I believe a hiker should be armed to protect himself if the need arises.

999 times out of 1000 the bear will run and avoid a conflict if not suprised or threatened. However, that one time is enough to die.

Once a bear loses fear of humans, that bear becomes very dangerous. Our park service's mission is to protect wildlife, but I personally feel it is somewhat misguided in that there must be a balance struck relating to acceptable numbers of bears and people's right to safety when they venture out to hike.

I visited Maine not too long ago, and talked to a cashier at a convience store there. She tells me there are claw marks on her kitchen door where a brown bear tried to get into her house. Bears feed at the dump close to the sub division where she lives. I asked her why she did not shoot it, and her reply was it is not legal to shoot the bear until it does something. This is just another example. I'm sorry, I love the outdoors and wildlife, I avidly 4wd and hike. However, if mr bear is trying to get into my house, here's my $500. I just purchased a bearskin rug.

just my 2 cents worth. d

[...]

d when I lived in Alaska, the 'outsiders' would come up and th esame thing would happen. You have good points, all of them.

No argument here.

Only ONE little technicality I would like to point out. Most people would not be carrying a weapon large enough to kill a bear, be a good enough shot to kill it fast enough or even know where to aim to kill it.

I know I wouldn't, I'm not a hunter. BUT you can be damned sure that if I were hiking in the woods where I would be prone to bear attack, I would learn about it first.

I have never wanted to become a part of the food chain.

Kate

"d" wrote in message news:MNx0g.3647$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net... : : "Spdloader" wrote in message : news:WRQ%f.3718$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com... : > Hey gal, : >

[...]

I read in one of the early pioneer type accounts, that the best thing was to play dead. Now, they say that a 44 magnum will do the job, if you know where to aim it. I've never fired one, but friends in Virginia took out a good sized oak tree once, with a 44 magnum pistol. I saw a young black bear on the trail to Glacier Peak once. When he saw me, he took off--up hill. The only thing I can remember feeling from that encounter is envy.

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

All sorts of folklore about the Montana silvertip grizzlies. One guy used to hunt them with a longbow. And one guy near Hungry Horse was killed by a grizzly [for some reason named Gordon Bill] after having emptied a 30-40 Kraig and a 9mm into the thing. Another named 3 Toe took out several humans before being caught. When I was growing up around Flathead Valley, about 1 or 2 folks per year would be killed by grizzlies somewhere within the Valley or mountains each year.

The black bear were never really that much of a threat other than if you happened to scare one or surprise one at the wrong time.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon