Re: 2003 jeep grand cherokee laredo

Just bought 2003 grand cherokee,4K miles so far.I have a noise when

>making a slow hard turn like pulling into a parking spot.When I was >driving it sounded like the power steering pump but when I was a >passanger it sounded like a rear tire was rubbing.A phone call to a >dealer brought the reply "they all do that".Anybody have this or any >suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.E mail me at > snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Does it have Quadra-Drive? I've read that this can give the sensation of "binding" in tight turns (and apparently is "normal").

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

Therein lies the problem........all you do is read and then try to offer advice without practical, hands-on experience.

Reply to
RPhillips47

This is a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2 Wheel drive with around 4K miles.Its my fathers,he lives in Florida,likes the Jeep but doesn't need 4 wheel drive.He's here on vacation and when I drove it and heard the noise I thought it was the power steering pump,but when I sat in the back and heard it,I thought a tire was rubbing.I took both wheels off and nothing to indicate rubbing anywhere that I could see.I can make this noise everytime by making a slow hard left or right turn like when pulling into a parking space.Taking it to a dealer here on Tuesday but was hoping for some info or ideas before going in.Thanks in advance. Mike

Reply to
mike

Just as Lloyd explained....The noise that you hear IS typical of the "quadra-drive" systems of your 2003 Grand Cherokee. I have driven and tested at least 30 same model vehicles to compare them with this same condition, and to find it true in all. Very much like your "4-wheel" turn hop that you experience with an engaged 4-wheel drive

Reply to
Galen

well EXCUUUUUUSEEE me...my terminology was not totally correct that time, I was only referring to the question about the hopping problem that he was experiencing. Sorry for the incorrect translation, but I im hoping that my final diagnosis is correct when it is pursued further.

Reply to
Galen

MY Cherokee (2003) is 2 WHEEL DRIVE, no 4 wheel anything,and I get the moaning tire rubbing sound when making a slow hard left or right turn.Sounds like it comes from the rear.Dealer had a TSB on the power steering hoses touching that creates a moan,seperated mine but it did nothing,goes back to the dealer in a week.Does anybody have any ideas concerning the 2 WHEEL drive Grand Cherokees?

Reply to
mike