4.0 main bearing bolt size question

Hi all

I am trying to change the rear main seal in my 1997 4.0 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have been pretty much over my head in the whole project.

In trying to remove the main cap, my 13/16 socket seems too big, and my

20mm socket won't fit on the main bearing bolt.

Does anyone know what size these are? At first, I thought the 20mm socket just needed to be deeper so I just got back from the store with a deep socket and it doesn't fit on either.

I do not have a factory manual.

Thanks in advance. Doug

Reply to
dornbos

You could measure across the flats. It's a SEA (inch) engine. The next smaller from 13/16 is a 3/4"

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I don't think you have to remove the main bearing cap. I've replaced the rear main seal in my 91 YJ and never had to remove the bearing cap. I don't think the GCs are much different in that respect.

Reply to
reconair

I really hope it wasn't just your valve cover leaking down the back imitating a bad seal. You can tell by running a clean rag across the back of the head. If it comes out wet with oil....

My main's use a 13/16 wrench. It has a 'slight' amount of play when fitted.

Mike

Mike Romain

That would be a trick I would like to see.....

The seal is fitted 'under' the rear main bearing cap in 2 halves....

Mike

rec>

Reply to
Mike Romain