Upper Main Bearing insertion tool? (2023 Update)

I am putting new bearings in an '89 E-150 w/351-W, with the engine in the vehicle. (Engine raised up, wooden blocks under front mounts, pivoting on rear mount)

I can get the upper main bearing inserts out, using a re-formed cotter pin in the oil hole and rotating the crank.

But I can't seem to get the new ones in. The cotter pin just can't do it. I already ruined one upper, when the cotter slipped in between the upper & the crank journal. I did this same procedure on an '81 several years ago and had no problem.

The Ford manual shows a tool, Ford # TOOL-6331-E, that fits in the oil hole and then against the bearing, to push it in.

Where can I get this tool?

Is there some other way to get the uppers in?

Any help greatly appreciated.

e-mail is snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
tom42

I've never done this job on this motor, but I did the main bearing on my Jeep 258 Inline 6. With all of the bearing journals loose, I was able to insert the upper half of the bearing without very much fuss at all. I did the job several years ago, but I think all I did was coat the new

Nevermind, I did the Rear Main Seal, not the bearings.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The last time I did it this way was on a '64 Galaxy w/ a 390. Seems to me I left all the main caps loose, and loosened the bell housing bolts (it had a

3-speed) and that left the crank loose enough to slide the STP-coated bearings in. If you can get them started enough, you might be able to tap them around with a brass rod- that won't scratch the journals, and done carefully enough, shouldn't hurt the bearings themselves.

Good luck!

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Thanks guys. Loosening them all a little did it.

I appreciate the help.

Reply to
tom42

According to

tool is no longer available from Ford. You might check on thefollowing alternate:
Regards,

Reply to
C. E. White

All, as of 12/20/2023, I think you will find this newer YouTube video to be QUITE helpful, whether you are installing Main Bearing(s), whether engine remains in the vehicle OR after engine has been removed, then placed on an engine stand: (Note: The Ford Bearing Insertion Tool "TOOL-6331-E" seems to have ZERO availability these days, Another video i reviewed today indicated a spent .22 caliber shell casing MIGHT work in oil hole to push bearing shells in and out of place, BUT i have not personally tried that technique) PLEASE WATCH THIS HIGH-VALUE VIDEO:

CAS2