4L Oil Leaks on my XJ

Hello All I have a 90 XJ and it has developed a speed sensitive oil leak. When I drive below 40 mph it seems to be minimal. If I drive on the HW over 70 mph it leaks like a siv. I washed down the engine and then drove it around for a couple miles. When I poped the hood it looks like the oil is comming from the head gasket, not the valve cover. Is this tipical on this engine? Ive seen in other postings that other people have had problems with the oil gasket ont the filter housing, and im sure it not comming from there. Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mikes_XJ

below 40 mph it seems to be minimal. If I drive on the HW over 70 mph it leaks like a siv. I washed down the engine and then drove it around for a couple miles. When I poped the hood it looks like the oil is comming from the head gasket, not the valve cover. Is this tipical on this engine?

gasket ont the filter housing, and im sure it not comming from there.

Before you get into expensive fixes (it could be a head gasket) check the CCV system. If the crankcase isn't breathing right, you will force oil out every seal at high RPM as pressure builds in the crankcase. BTDT. If it's speed sensitive, that's the first place I would look. It may well be as simple as removing the valve cover to clean the breather and CCV ports. Pull the CCV line (rear of valve cover) and make sure it's clear. Dont forget the port where it plugs into the intake manifold. Check the breather tube to the airbox (mine got plugged when it collapsed and shut off flow, but the 88 had a 180 degree bend that was prone to such nonsense). Once you have eliminated the simple things you can start to think head gasket. Oh, and I had a timing cover bolt work loose near the top and it did the same thing but blew the oil back along the head just like a gasket leak. After a long road trip it would sit there and just drip.

Reply to
Will Honea

below 40 mph it seems to be minimal. If I drive on the HW over 70 mph it leaks like a siv. I washed down the engine and then drove it around for a couple miles. When I poped the hood it looks like the oil is comming from the head gasket, not the valve cover. Is this tipical on this engine?

gasket ont the filter housing, and im sure it not comming from there.

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It shouldn't be the head gasket, because since it does not have an overhead camshaft, it really doesn't have high oil pressure going through the gasket. The oil reaches the upper head area through the pushrods and then drains back through the head's drain holes.

Where is this oil, front or rear or passenger side? Common leaks are from the oil filter housing or the oil pressure sending unit.

Of course I could be mistaken. :-)

Reply to
Dave

Thanks, Ill have to check that out before I tare my engine appart. Mike

Reply to
Mikes_XJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill\Dave

I took your picture and Marked the area. It is above and behind the Oil filter. After washing the engine down and runnning for a while this is where the oil shows up. Now I realize you cant attach files?.... Any way it shows up in the gasket seam at the rear of the Passenger side of the engine, say the last 6 inches. This is about 4in higher than the oil filter. I did replace the oil sender about a year ago. Mabe Ill get some DYE and a UV light to be sure before I tare this thing apart...

Thanks for the imput Mike

Reply to
Mikes_XJ