4WD-Lo trying to get into 2nd gear

I do a lot of off-roading with my 90 XJ. Since I have an automatic, my choices are 1-2, 3, D. When I am in 4WD-Lo and can get some decent speed in

3rd gear. When I need to slow down I shift down to 1-2. The Jeep transmission will only stay if 1st gear and never give me access to 2nd......where I really want to be. (i.e., 1st is too slow and 3rd is too fast). Other than tossing the automatic and replacing it with a stick, does anybody have any ideas?
Reply to
Jim McGeough

Someone posted something about a computer chip or something that would 'hold' the auto in first or second because the bugger wants to shift down just as they are powering up the last 1/4 of a sand pit wall, so the gear down shot just digs them holes and they are stopped.

I have never heard of it happening the other way where you are actually stuck in 1st....

Personally, and from my experience on lots of Jeep off road runs, I would prefer to be stuck in 1st in an automatic to climb a wall rather than have it being in second with a potential unexpected or unwanted kick down into first under load.

That is a big problem with the autos on our runs, they lose it 3/4 the way up when it kicks down and just dig holes.

With my standard shift XJ, I run in 2nd low on climbs because the 4.0 is a bit weak in low end torque so I need to keep the rpm up, with my CJ7 and it's 4.2 engine, I run in 3rd low and the tach says +/- 400 rpm as I am powering up the crest. I have 'never' had a stall, my BFG 33x9.5 muds will just dig in if I get too steep and we run 50-65+ deg pit walls. I have had ATV's flip over backwards trying to follow me.

So, have you checked the mechanical linkage adjustment from your throttle lever at the throttle body to the tranny?

The kick down to a lower gear can be adjusted there on most of the ones I have seen.

Maybe you want it to kick down, maybe you don't.....

Mike

Jim McGeough wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jim McGeough

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Ummm, why would you want to be in 4wd low and run in anything but 1st gear? Isn't that what it's for? The crawl speed and the massive torque? Anything else, I assume you could get using a lower gear in 4wd high.

Reply to
Big Daddy

Actually, I frequently use 4-Lo in second gear (auto). Sometimes it provides just the right combination of speed and torque.

Tom

snip

Reply to
mabar

Here ya go. Let me know how it works out for you.

Carrollcaboodle

Reply to
Jim McGeough