4wd stuck

Hi all, Well I just got my clutch replaced by the dealer on a 2000 Wrangler, 6 cyl, 5 sp. manual, about a month ago (at only 35k miles, mind you). The other day I noticed the 4WD shifter was in neutral (which it never is), and when I tried to shift it back into 2WD it just wouldn't budge. It can go to 4 hi or 4 lo or neutral, so I know the commandtrac does work...but I just can't get it back into 2wd. So the first thing I'm thinking is the dealer screwed it up somehow when he replaced the clutch. Is this possible? Do you have to remove the transfer case when you replace a clutch? Or is it probably just the vacuum lines and a horrible coincidence? Thanks for your help, this is my first post on this group.

Reply to
Dan

They did have to remove it to do the clutch.

Was the Jeep actually 'in' neutral or just the shifter was there? I am thinking it was in 4H at the t-case which would just be a linkage adjustment down under.

If it actually was in neutral, then you have something really out of whack.

My command track goes, 2H, 4H, N, 4L. Maybe it was in 4H?

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Mike, thanks for the reply. As for the t-case, it may actually be in

4H like you mention, but the shifter is floating around the neutral area, not clicked in to 4H. But - there is no difference in the driving when I do click it into 4H, so you may be right. As for the "linkage adjustment", is this a small repair? This particular dealer I take it to does not seem to be one of the better (ie. honest) ones, so I like to go in prepared. Thanks again for your help. Dan
Reply to
Dan

Sounds like they just forgot to hook the shifter back up. Not a real bright bunch by the sounds of it.

It shouldn't be a big deal. We have had to do that job on the side of the trail before. Shops seem to be pretty bad about 'finishing' the whole job these days.

Mike

Mike Romain

No boot, you'd have to look under at the linkage.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo