'66 or '75 CJ5 For rebuild Project

I am trying to decide which jeep I should rebuild. They both need a lot of work, but the '75 will require emmissions testing for registration. Are there any reasons why I should not build the '66?

Also, I have a 225 V6 and a 258 I6. Both need to be rebuilt. I am leaning toward the 258, but I think the V6 is supposed to be lighter. Any ideas?

Is the '66 frame much different from the '75? Maybe I should use the '66 frame and some of the components (i.e. 11" brakes) from the '75.

Thanks for your advice,

Nathan

Reply to
NB

You are probably looking at a Dana 18 vs. Dana 20 T/case
Looks like they didn't box the frame till 76, so that shouldn't be a consideration.

Reply to
Kevin S.

I have a '73 which would be the same as the '75. A guy I wheel with has a '55 which is close to the '66 drive train wise. If your going to the trail with this I would do the '66. The offset axles, low gearing in the diffs, and the strong dana 18 are all positives. You'd probably want to convert the steering to the saginaw set up. The 11" brakes would be a nice upgrade. If I had both I would:

-go with the '66

-take to 11" brakes of the '75

-take the Saginaw setup off the '75

-sell the rest of the '75 to do the '66 rebuild

Reply to
cj573cj5

Where the Hell do you live that an emissions test is needed on a 30 year old vehicle?

Reply to
Jerry McG

Please do us lovers of all old Jeeps a big favor. Do not pillage one priceless vintage Jeep to build the other. Sell whichever one you don't want to build and use the cash on the keeper.

Either one of 'em is a smile-producer. The '75 will be easier to source parts for, but maybe not quite as cool as the '66. The V6 is a great engine, plenty of parts sources available, and the 256, well, pretty stout as well. Gearboxes and Xfer cases on either are mule stout, as are the axles. The '66 uses the old sloppy bellcrank steering, which you can easily update, or repair and make work well.

The '66 is geared much lower than the '75 and is a real wheezer on the highway. An old friend has a '65 he inherited from his Grandfather, who used it for years and called it "Ashma".

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Arizona is about just as bad. Anything '67 and newer has to be tested.

Reply to
Charlie