76 CJ-7 Getting closer

The '76 is getting closer to ready to drive in NE Ohio winter. The problem was the top (It was not installed correctly). To re-adjust the fit, I needed to remove in all and start over, there were just too many things out of whack for a small adjustment. Keep in mind that this has a fiberglass body. The first problem was the windshield. The threaded inserts for the brackets were spinning and I could not tighten it. All that is fixed now. Two nuts welded to a plate, inserted through the defroster openings along with a trip to the hardware store for some stainless fasteners. Then is was the misaligned doors. One of the people that owned the Jeep before bent the lower brackets as an adjustment and that just did not work. I removed the brackets and straightened them out and readjusted the doors properly. Next the roll cage. I'm not sure if it's an aftermarket roll cage or an original. Probably an aftermarket. After removing the rusted bolts (why did they not use stainless?), I needed to put a come-a-long around the rear legs and pull them together just to remove it. Needs to be bent in a little before re-installation. Can anybody tell me what a factory roll cage looks like on a '76? Back to the top. The main support brackets that are located just behind the doors cannot be tightened because the lag screws cannot be tightened in the fiberglass anymore. I'm going to drill out a few holes on the inside to gain access and put some normal SS bolts and nuts on it (As someone here suggested) Finally, a new camshaft complete with bearings and lifters, and probably new main bearings too, just because the oil pressure is low after it heats up. I think the cam is considerably worn now. It has a little trouble running when it's cold but does just fine after it warms (except for the oil pressure thing. oil pressure is good cold and low after warm up).

Just an update in the process if restoration.

Chip

Reply to
Chip

as for what the rollbar should look like here is pictures of when I updated my older style(earlier then 79) rollbar to a newer style

did this so I could have shoulder belts and so that the rollbar would be attached to the frame in case of an accident.

Reply to
aGraham